jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Map Capsule Relevance

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago

The push for using the map/poll capsules is well-intentioned, but it's creating a problem.

Just keeping track... of the 30 hubs I've rated today, 8 have had map capsules.  7 have been for San Francisco. One has been relevant to the hub in question.

This, at best, adds no substance to the hub. At worst, it detracts from the hub in the same way as unrelated links/media does. So if it's being done to improve the chances of passing QAP, I think it's likely backfiring.

To TPTB, may I please request that you make a note somewhere that if you put a map into a hub, it probably should add some value or at least be relevant... maybe in the goals section or in the stellar hub/learning center entries?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This is a great suggestion, MelissaBarrett! It might indeed be a good idea to change the messaging regarding use of the map capsule (and insist that it be used correctly). I'll bring it up in our quality meeting.

2. lovebuglena profile image91
      lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes HubPages can tell hubbers to use the map capsule only if it is relevant to their hub and when there is clearly a need for it or a benefit to have it. That won't stop hubbers from placing map capsules into their hubs though when there is no need or use for it really. What can help is lowering a hubs quality score if the map capsule is used when it shouldn't be used.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Just to follow up, we are discussing making some changes to the map capsule which would prevent that kind of misuse in the future. For now, please flag any Hubs you see that include an unnecessary and/or unedited map if you would. Thanks!

2. Iammattdoran profile image86
    Iammattdoranposted 3 years ago

Are you saying that the hub authors didn't edit their maps to show the location of the hub in question or is it that the maps are somehow defaulting back to San Fran?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I would assume they just stuck the capsule in there without editing... as there is absolutely no way that their hubs could HAVE a relevant map.

2. lovebuglena profile image91
      lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think what she means is that they just stuck a map capsule into the hub just for the heck of it, perhaps to get a higher quality score for their hub, when there is no need for a map capsule in the hub...

working