jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

1. B. Leekley profile image88
    B. Leekleyposted 3 years ago

When I go online to the hubpages.com sign-in page, and then when I sign in, which cookies that appear in Firefox - Tools - Privacy - Show Cookies (or in the cookies list of whichever browser I am using) are normal, expected, and essential to the functioning of the website for hubbers, or at least beneficial? Can I safely remove or block all other cookies while signed into hubpages.com? Are there kinds of cookies that I should definitely remove or block?

2. Ericdierker profile image81
    Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago

What things are you doing that are suspect and/or illegal? If your only reason is privacy and safeguarding personal data, you for sure know the answer. always always always disable cookies. But who the heck is that paranoid?
    So your query is strange. If you know about this and it concerns you. Like germs on a doorknob in the TV series Monk, do not even visit sites unless you have a separate IP/ISP that is untraceable.
    Me--- I know all the dangers. And I just act normal and reasonable and only carry on with folks I know.

3. krisaclark profile image83
    krisaclarkposted 3 years ago

It is normal for many sites to leave cookies on your browser, and they are usually safe. But you want to block third-party cookies -- cookies that are from owners whose website you did not visit. I think in Firefox there is an option to block just the third-party cookies. It is also not a bad idea to delete all the cookies from your browser about once a week or so, to keep your folder empty and your computer performing optimally.

To the first answer - why do you suspect of illegal activity because someone wants to delete unnecessary cookies? It seems like you are the paranoid one.
    It's not just an issue of privacy, I don't know anybody who is perfectly OK with having an unknown person actively receiving all of their browsing history for unknown reasons.

1. Ericdierker profile image81
      Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This is really nice and a very complete base of knowledge. Perhaps though you do not know how Panda and the NIS works. Why do you think ads come up for your local town, instead of New Jersey or Hong Kong.
      I am not paranoid, I help design the policy behind intruding into your life. I like it. I pick up the phone in an emergency and the could access my med records. I think I will put a chip in my sons' arm.

4. krisaclark profile image83
    krisaclarkposted 3 years ago

Panda is completely irrelevant to the ads by Google that show up on any website. The NIS has nothing to do with this topic either, it is the cookies storing your IP which provide your location for relevant ads to be placed. So good job with the sarcasm.

1. Ericdierker profile image81
      Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

thank you Krisaclark. I figure I will just go throw the last 20 years of my life in the toilet. And then I can just learn from a master like you. I am sure I will learn much from your outstanding education and brilliance. I would assume you were in the front trenches during the dotcom bubble burst of 2000 and that you worked with Darpa as the Internet got given to the public. I imagine you sat with men like Vint Cerf and men like Jon Postel. But I do not remember seeing you there.

Closed to reply