jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Best thing to do with duplicated content?

1. queerlyobscure profile image93
    queerlyobscureposted 3 years ago

Hi guys,

I moved an article I'd had on That Other Article Site for a while here to Hubpages. It just got flagged for duplicate content so I figured it just hadn't disappeared from the search results yet, but when I went to Google it I found that it's been duplicated all over the place - which I guess is my fault, since it was a questionnaire. Of course people copied the questions!

But now the problem is that people have copied the bulk of the article all over the place - on forums, personal websites, one is on a free essay site and all the rest, (If you're curious to see how many copies there are, look up '101 Character Development Questions' and you'll see what I mean. I'm sure there are dozens more not using the title) and I haven't got a published copy of it any more, so I don't have a leg to stand on getting all those people to take it down.

I can't see any sensible way of rewriting it. The *point* of it is the questions, which for the most part are too short to re-write (and, again, that's kind of the point of them: they're specific questions). It's already 2k+ words, so adding a *lot* more content to make it not look duplicated would be a pretty ridiculous task and only take away from it.

Do I give up on it? Or is there another solution I'm not seeing here? Help me hubbers, you're my only hope!

1. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If you remember the exact url it had when you first published it, you could check the wayback machine to see if its there.
      This is a site that archives every single page that has ever been on the web, I believe.
      If you can find your original article there, you can use it to file multiple DMCAs with Google.
      It does work because someone copied one of my articles while I was moving it from one place to another, and Google de-indexed the other site, even though my hub was no longer published. I just gave them the archive url that I got from the wayback machine.

1. queerlyobscure profile image93
        queerlyobscureposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You are a genius! It's still there and there's a capture from all the way back in 2011. I never thought of using the archived copy as proof!

Let me offer you internet hugs? Cookies? Prayers to the traffic gods?

1. IzzyM profile image84
          IzzyMposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Prayer to the traffic gods sounds good smile

2. SpectatemeAlso profile image60
    SpectatemeAlsoposted 3 years ago

3. VictoriaSheffield profile image87
    VictoriaSheffieldposted 3 years ago

Seems to me that there is just as much duplicate information out here as original content. I notice that when ever I do a search for a particular topic online that tons of sites basically give you the same information. It is crazy!