jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)

Do I have to mention the source link if I am using photo from Google?

1. zeusspeak profile image78
    zeusspeakposted 4 years ago

Just wondering, is it necessary to mention source link while using photos from search engines. And, if I do will it be beneficial for my hub or not?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you're using images from Google, you're probably breaking copyright law, whether you mention the source link or not.

The law on images is very, very simple.   All photos are copyright unless there's a statement giving permission to use it.   That statement will say something like "creative commons licensed' or "some rights reserved" or "public domain".   (note, "all rights reserved" or "copyright" means you can't use the photo under any circumstances). 

To find images on Google, you must use the Advanced search, look for the "usage rights" section and select "free to use or share, even commercially" (because HubPages counts as commercial).  That will give you a selection of photos you may be able to use - but even then, you must go to the original source of the image and check what it says, because Google sometimes gets it wrong.  And you will usually have to link to the original source of the image.

zeusspeakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

But Marisa what about those wikimedia images? Can I use them for my hubs in case I do not find relevant images?

1. queerlyobscure profile image84
          queerlyobscureposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wikimedia is public domain. If you're searching Wikimedia then you can use the images, but you should still probably credit them. It could help your hub in Google, by the way, because it's better for people to click through to another page than leave your page by closing the tab.

You might be interested in this site - http://search.creativecommons.org/# - it allows you to search for images that are under a Creative Commons licence. You want ones that are okay for commercial use.

Thx Cecilia for the link, it really helped me, would keep things in mind the next time I am posting or revamping my hubs

You're very welcome!

2. Marisa Wright profile image93

Wikimedia is not all public domain.  Most of its images are provided under a licence of some kind, most of which demand you include a credit.

3. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As Marisa says, Wikimedia is NOT public domain.  In general I find that US govt. photos are (they always are), old photos where the copyright has expired are (they always are as well), and a few from foreign governments are (varies by country).

Nearly everything else carries a license agreement, most of which requires crediting the owner and many of which prohibit any changes.  The majority are not in the public domain.

You know I've literally never come across a Creative Commons Wikimedia image (I assume because of the areas I'm looking in) and I actually had to go and look for one. I assumed they were a tiny minority of the resources there until I poked through aimlessly and came across a few that way.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

big_smile  I think you're right in that it depends on what you're looking for.  I generally have to look hard for a public domain pic there that I can change with some text put into the photo.  For me the public domain ones are maybe 10% of what I see.  I'm learning what to look for (old photos, NASA, military, etc.) but they are definitely a minority. 

Interesting that you find it the opposite.

I guess because I'm usually looking for either images of old paintings/artworks in general, or pictures of space. Which obviously are both going to largely be public domain.

It doesn't even really occur to me to go there for things that wouldn't be. I head straight for Flickr. This thread has opened up a whole new source of images for me!

So, can we use images displayed on Flickr without any hassles?

2. Marisa Wright profile image93

They work exactly the same.  Scroll down below the image and you'll see a detailed statement, telling you what you can and can't do with the image, and who you need to credit.

2. queerlyobscure profile image84
    queerlyobscureposted 4 years ago

Images aren't actually 'from Google'. They're displayed by Google, but they don't belong to them. You need to go to the original source of the image, determine whether the owner will allow you to use it, and then credit them as necessary.

Thx Cecilia for the advice

3. Robin profile image
    Robinposted 4 years ago

I appreciate your attention to legally use and attribute the images in your Hub!  We have created a fairly extensive Learning Center Hub on how to use images properly online.  You might want to check it out.  smile

Hey thx Robin for the link,

4. Writer Fox profile image79
    Writer Foxposted 4 years ago

More on U.S. government photos: Any photo taken by a U.S. government employee (including the military), during the course of that person's official duties, is automatically in the Public Domain, even if it was taken today. You can often find pictures of celebrities, general family photos, health and medical photos and famous places around the world in the online collection:
    http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Graphics.shtml

Thx for the link, I would definitely look into that

5. zeusspeak profile image78
    zeusspeakposted 4 years ago

ok, thx Marisa and all hubbers for sharing their wisdom

working