jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Cookies and not the yummy scrummy chocolate kind either!

1. sallybea profile image94
    sallybeaposted 3 years ago

I came across this ad on another Members Hub last night.  Truthfully, I was a little surprised at the language and the tackiness of the Ad.   I don't think it sets a very nice tone on these pages at all.  Truthfully - it offends me.
    '(2 people spied on you) Yeah, it sucks and it’s pretty weird when you don’t know that you’re being spied on online.  People and companies spy on you by planting cookies on your browser.  But they.re not friggin choc-chocolate chip cookies or something delicious like that.  These cookies are crummy and allow the sites to follow you around the web. To see who’s spying on you, check out our Spy Guard.  It’s pretty cool.  It’s free and the results will shock you.  See Who!'

Are cookies being collected in order for Google Ads to be placed on our Hubs.  I have been wondering for days about this - because Ads have begun appearing on my own Hubs which are directly related to personal searches I have made recently in relation to a holiday I am planning to go on.  The same sites I used to search for this accommodation are being placed on my own Hubs.
    Can anyone shed any light on this and if so is anyone else seeing this Ad or is it just me?

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 3 years ago

Sallybea, sorry to say this, but you are more than a decade behind the realization about internet "cookies," and yes, Google displays ads based almost entirely on what you are doing online.

Here's a video from 2011 that explains Google ad preferences,
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/11 … he-answer/

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

More than a decade - ouch! 
      relache, I have probably known about cookies for at least as long as that but for some bizarre reason being new to this site, I did not relate the Ads being placed on my Hubs to anything I had ever searched for myself until recently.  Does that mean that the writer of the Hub I mentioned above has really been spying on people!!  What purpose do these Ads serve - since none of us is meant to click on our own Ads?  I certainly would not.
      I could understand someone wanting to click on an Ad related to the actual Hub contents but why on earth would people other than me be interested in what I have been searching for if it is unrelated to the Hub.  Maybe I think too much! 
      The video does not tell you how to change your preferences on HubPages in order for you to prevent Ads like the one above and including  one with a Filipino Dating Site which I can say categorically, that I  have never visited!   Can you one change your preference for Ads placed on HubPages?

1. Susana S profile image92
        Susana Sposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

The ads you see are NOT the ads others see.

Google ad placement doesn't differentiate between sites you're a member of and sites you are not. It just delivers ads based on how advertisers have decided to target their audience.

The Filipino ads (which I NEVER see) are probably being targeted based on location.

I explained the different types ad targeting on one of your other forum threads on this topic.

3. susi10 profile image94
    susi10posted 3 years ago

If you click on an ad that interests you on any website that has AdSense, that ad will follow you around wherever you go, so you will see that very ad on your hubs and in other websites. I know this because I clicked on an ad that interested me on a website and now I see that ad on all my hubs! Google knows what kind of things interest you based on what ads you click on, what searches you make and so on.