Editing Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Rainbow Briteposted 15 years ago

I know this question was posted but I can't seem to find it now...How often to you veterans recommend editing your hubs?  Anything specific to change?  What effect does this have on traffic?  And kind of off topic...I can't get EBAY to work for me and I haven't made a dime off Amazon, despite the fact that I put both capsules in nearly every hub...what am I doing wrong?

2. rmshdc profile image57
    rmshdcposted 15 years ago

I agree with you on EBAY and AMAZON.  EBAY doesn't work and so far I haven't made anything out of AMAZON.

Another point is that adsense ads are not displayed on some of my hubs.  Is there any particular reason why ADSENSE avoids certain hubs?  Or YIELDBUILD play some role in avoiding adsense ads on certain hubpages.

Also I would like to see how editing often effects your position on hubpges.  What effects editing a hubpages have increased visitors and ranking?

3. ANDR01D profile image73
    ANDR01Dposted 15 years ago

I often find that editing hubs increases my score by a point or more, especially when I add more capsules and links.

4. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

Ebay and Amazon both work well if you use them properly. With Amazon, it's best to hand select items that you would buy versus use the keyword tool. Also make sure that everything is relevant to the hub information. For Amazon and Ebay try making product related hubs such as reviews and such that may help get a few more buys. I try to use affiliate capsules in most of my hubs, with at least books posted for sale.

Otherwise, in terms of editing, I try to edit just when need be. Occasionally, I'll actually edit a hub, but for the most part I do very little editing. Typically, when you edit a page, it will look good and may get bumped in the search engines, but I don't know all the semantics on that.

rmshdc- sometimes Google just doesn't have ads that can display on some topics. I have a few hubs that occasionally have ads, but typically don't. There just aren't any that Google can find relevant to post on the page. It may be hard finding ads relevant to photo hubs of women.

5. profile image0

rmshdc - glad to know that I'm not the only one that's had trouble!

ANDR01D - I had noticed the same thing, plus increased traffic to the hubs I edit.  I typically edit when a hub has had no traffic for 30 days or more.

Whitney05 - My problem with Ebay is that I can't seem to get it set up properly...they keep saying they're sending me the "confirmation" email, or whatever, but it's not coming through.  I have checked my black and white lists, my inbox, and my spam folder, to no avail!  I will try your tip with Amazon, though, I had been using the Keyword feature, and I too had noticed that I sometimes came up with items that I did not want.  Hand picking items may be a better option, I will try that on my next hub. 

Thanks for the input everybody!

6. David Ventura profile image59
    David Venturaposted 15 years ago

Once you've started getting traffic from Google, don't change your hub Title. I made changes at the title of a couple of my hubs and they were gone from Google (example: I put “everyday” instead of “every day” in the title of one of my hubs.) It was a long process to reach the same place in Google that they had before the change. So, now I never change the title of a hub. Have anyone else had the same problem when editing your Hubs?

On the other hand, editing other parts of the hub seems to be ok.

7. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

As far as editing goes, I notice that if I add more images to my hubs that have low scores and slow traffic that it helps.

Some suggestions would be to add images, add videos, add polls, yahoo news, also if you link all your other hubs that are on the same topic you just wrote about and include them on your hub and link to outside relevant informational sites work well too. Hope that helps.

8. profile image0

well i added a picture and a few paragraphs of text as welll as reorganized some text in one of my lowest scored hubs and like magic, it jumps ten points in a few days....now i gotta go redo all my lower scoring hubs....but not tonite, I'm outta wine, so it's time for me to turn in...nighty night all, sweet dreams!

9. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 15 years ago

Rainbow Brite:  I was getting the same thing you are from Ebay about it sending a confirmation email, etc. and it never comes.  I finally wrote Ebay to find out about that.  I got the following email: 

Please note that eBay Partner Network, and our eBay Advertisers, have
    carefully screened your application, including your program description
    and related URLs. After careful consideration, we have declined your
    request to be an affiliate for the program at this time.

Our criteria for applications vary among programs and are regularly
    updated. For security reasons, we can't share information on this
    process.

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for. Thanks for your
    interest in eBay Partner Network.

I've heard other people say they same thing about being denied by Ebay.

10. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 15 years ago

I routinely monitor my hubscores and pageviews.  In fact, I'm so anal about it I keep spreadsheets, but spreadsheets are what I do.  smile

I have actually deleted a few hubs that I felt pulled my overall score down.  I have them saved in Word and may one day resurrect them.   There are another 5-6 that I have left up, but still continue to work on them to try to improve them.  I've gone back and added a few paragraphs, found some more links, found another video.  On my related hubs I've gone back and added a section providing links to those related hubs even though I know Hubpages shows the related hubs, it just gives me one more opportunity to maybe catch some traffic.

I also have played around with moving the Amazon selections around on the page.

The scores do seem to rise after adding the extra modules.

11. profile image0

KCC - thanks for that ebay letter, I think you may be right, and I think I know why I'm not getting in, but that's okay, maybe I'll just stop using the ebay capsules.  Of course, Amazon isn't earning me any revenue either, but then I haven't tried the tip of picking exactly which items I want to use either.  The spreadsheet thing made me laugh, because I've been thinking of doing that for quite a while, but I'm trying not to be too OCD about this.  However, my hubscore has been falling in recent weeks, so maybe I will try it.  I will give it a week or so, as I just massively published, thanks to this weeks hubmob topic.  (One hubmob turned into two, plus two more hubs - it was a mess!)

12. profile image0
    artspeckposted 15 years ago

I've noticed you have some good replies to your question, and while I am certainly no expert, I do try hard to make my hubs as interesting as possible.

My hub http://hubpages.com/hub/Blue-Springs gets the most views from all my hubs, and I've just noticed it now has a page rank of 1 in Google and a hub score of 80, so I must be doing something right.

Notice that I have only gone for a few items from Ebay in several areas which the viewer may be interested in.

As well as keeping the ads balanced with the text, I hope it will be seen as having the most chance of getting a click through because of the variety.

I've also added some photos and video, as well as a news section. What more can anyone do?

Despite all this effort, I too am awaiting my first dime from both Amazon and Ebay!

I hope this gives you ideas to think about, and best wishes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)