jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Content is blocking ads

1. adamschwartz profile image89
    adamschwartzposted 3 years ago

I'm writing of scholarly examination of Freud's Psychosexual stages of development and how Erickson expanded this into the Psychosocial development matrix, is such a topic really out of bounds, because Freud spoke of the anal and genital phases??  Anyone ever run into something like this, an autobot obviously scanned for key words because I haven't tried to publish it yet, but a warning made me aware that ads would not be displayed because of possibly inappropriate content.  Once this is read by a real person upon submission and they see the context will they publish it with Ads??  Thanks in advance for any insight.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

There is a good reason for it:  we all depend for our income on Adsense.  Adsense has rules which prohibit adult content.  Adsense has robots which police those rules.  The robots can't read context so all they can do is look for "naughty words" and "naughty images".   If they find them, they can punish the site by suspending their Adsense account.

A few months ago Wizzley (one of HP's competitors) lost its Adsense account for several weeks because ONE member had uploaded a graphic image.  Fortunately the site owners were able to convince Adsense that it was a minor hiccup and they got their account back - otherwise the site would've had to close down.

Some people feel that HubPages' filters go too far and that may be the case, but that example shows why they do it.   Yes, it does mean that some worthy subjects are out of bounds, but personally I think that's a small price to pay.

It's not as if it's preventing you publishing your article - you can still publish it on a blog where the only Adsense account you're risking is your own.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

If there is no actual explicit content, email Hubstaff for a manual review.

3. adamschwartz profile image89
    adamschwartzposted 3 years ago

Yeah thanks guys, I did e-mail them and they reviewed it and removed the ad block immediately, thanks for the help.