Problems getting started with Amazon Associate program

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    LeighMCposted 10 years ago

Hello hubbers.

I am trying to get started with the Amazon Associate program, and have been rejected because I don't yet have enough content or followers.
    I currently have 10 featured hubs, and am busy with 11 and 12 today.

At what stage will Amazon accept me into their program? What would be the ideal amount of hubs to have published before they'll accept me?
    Does anyone have any idea?

I currently have hubs that contain links to Amazon products. Should I unlink those for now?

I have also applied to the ebay program, and that is still pending.

Does anyone have any suggestions or info on this for me?

Thanks in advance!
    Leigh

1. profile image0
      LeighMCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am also wondering whether it's because I live in Europe, and not the US, that they've rejected me. If so, they have no grounds as it says in the fine print that people living outside the US may join, but have to be paid by cheque (which is the option I chose).

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
      Marina Lazarevicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi LeighMC! When you signed up for Amazon, did you provide a link to one of your Hubs or a link to your profile? If it was the latter, then Amazon might have rejected the application because of a lack of content. Try reapplying using a Hub URL. As far as we know, Amazon Associates does not have a minimum content requirement like AdSense.

1. profile image0

I used the general hub URL for my profile, not for a specific hub.
        But then, wouldn't that be applying just for that one hub?

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
          Marina Lazarevicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Amazon just needs to see some example content (your profile page is only a list) and one Hub should be enough. Though it sounds like you already created an account using your Facebook page! smile 

EDIT (7/9/13): Sorry, folks. hmm I was mistaken when I said you *need* to use an example Hub URL when applying to Amazon Associates. I contacted Amazon directly today and they confirmed that you can use either your profile URL or an example Hub URL. You just need to have one solid Hub published at the time you apply. Amazon also mentioned that you should use their contact us form to troubleshoot application issues. Please also continue to notify us if and when an issue comes up, as it very well may be on our end and not Amazon's. Sorry for the confusion!

1. profile image0

Yep. And added my code to my HP account now as well.
            Success at last!

1. profile image52
              sohelkadriposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

Thanks!
                I'm going to read your blog because I need to learn about SEO as well.

1. Susana S profile image90
                  Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you want to learn SEO you need to make sure you're learning from the right people (read: ethical, up-to-date, experienced) otherwise you could inadvertently end up doing a lot of damage to your hubs!

Here are a couple of very reputable sites to get you started:

http://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo

http://www.copyblogger.com/seo-copywriting/

P.S.  the link you replied to is actually spam.

1. profile image0

Thanks - I will go and have a look at these.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
                  Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't recommend it, looks like someone who's still learning!   Stick with the sites Susana has recommended.

1. profile image0

Thanks, I will. I see that other post was deleted as spam.

3. profile image0

Just a quick update.
      I have been accepted into the eBay program, so I think I'll just stick with them for now.
      Amazon seems to be giving too many people the runaround, which concerns me.
      Hurra for eBay!

2. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 10 years ago

First, you have to make sure you are signing up for the US affiliate program, no other regions will work here on HP.

Follow these instructions: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/crea … te-account

I was not aware that Amazon had a minimum content requirement.  Google Adsense has content requirements which has been reported to be about a minimum of 20 hubs and at least 90 days for US residents and up to 6 months for some countries.

1. profile image0

Hi. Thanks for your reply.
      I have AdSense active already - after I published 10 hubs (well, it says it's active...). I also haven't read anywhere that there is a limit to the Amazon hubs that need to be published.

It was definitely the US affiliate program that I tried to sign up for, and I followed the step-by-step instructions in the learning centre.

The odd thing is that it still says I am 'active' on the Amazon program, yet I received an email from them saying I had been rejected. So I really don't know how to proceed with this.

ebay is still pending...

Flummoxed!

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you've been rejected from Amazon, you should remove the code from you hubpages affiliate settings.  Unlike with AdSense and eBay, there is currently no way for us to know the actual status of your Amazon Associates account.  If you have a value entered, it is "active", regardless of whether it will actually work.

1. profile image0

OK. thanks. I will do that and try again.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I would suggest that you post the email.  As far as I know Amazon.com has no criteria for participation.

1. profile image0

Yes, I think I will. Thanks.

4. profile image0
    krushnach80posted 10 years ago

oh my god you have 11 hub and your adsense program is active???how come can you let me know I applied today but rejected because I don't have enough content

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This thread is about the Amazon Associate program

2. profile image0

Well, I THINK it's active. It says so, and I have the sum total of 7 cents in my earnings report.
      Then again, the Amazon Associates program also says it's active, but I don't know what's going on there...
      Urgh, I'm really quite technically challenged and am still trying to work out how all of this works. I find it bloody confusing!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

It's hard to get approved for Adsense without knowing.   Are you saying you can log into your Adsense account and see earnings there?  If so, it's fine.  If you're relying on the earnings report on HubPages, it may not be.

There's no point in including Amazon or eBay capsules on your Hubs until you get approved for those programs.   Even when you do get approved, it's important to use them carefully as they won't make sales unless you get it right! 

Some pointers for the future:

- Don't put Amazon or eBay ads at the bottom of your Hub, they won't get clicked on.  Split your text up over several text capsules, and place your Amazon and eBay ads next to the paragraph they're relevant to.

- Don't even bother using an Amazon or eBay ad unless your text refers to that specific product.   Readers are very unlikely to buy a vaguely related product, but they may be attracted to click on the pretty picture and leave your Hub - so it's counter-productive.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your reply.
          I will go and check in my actual AdSense account to see whether it is working.
          I did receive an email saying it was active, so I am hoping t really is!

I have linked to a DVD on ebay, because I wrote about Rodriguez and the Searching for Sugar Man DVD. So that's a'legit' link, I think! I did it in the middle of the text too.
          I'm still waiting for an answer from ebay though. They did say they could take a week to respond...

3. profile image0

Krushnach80, I think I can see why you have been rejected for Adsense. I don't think poems count as hubs in terms of content for advertising.
      I think I read that somewhere in the fine print. Perhaps that's why they tell you you don't have enough content?
      Just a thought. Maybe have a look through their terms again and see?

5. profile image0
    krushnach80posted 10 years ago

got it madam ,I just tried to see if it happens or not and thanks for the insight

6. profile image0

As an experiment, I have tried joining Amazon Associates with my Facebook page. I run an entertainment page, with almost 14 000 fans on it.

Now considering my email from Amazon, where they told me they were only continuing the program through Facebook and Twitter accounts, they should accept me.

I am still flummoxed as to how HP can have the Amazon affiliate as an option, when Amazon says they are only going through Facebook and Twitter pages since 1 June.

I shall keep everyone informed. This should be interesting.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

1 June is very recent.  As I said on the other thread - when Amazon (or eBay or Adsense) change their rules, they usually don't bother to announce the changes to anyone. It's a measure of their dominance of the affiliate market that they can be that arrogant! 

When those companies make changes, most webmasters don't find out until something that used to work, doesn't.  In this case, it's clear that they've disallowed social networking sites as from 1st June. What's mysterious is why they've classified HubPages as one of those sites - and it may just be a case of HP talking to Amazon to point out the nature of the site.

7. profile image0

As I updated on another similar post, I was accepted into the Amazon Program through my Facebook page.
    It has about 13 600 followers at present, so I'm assuming that's why I was accepted.
    Now I'm going to link my HubPages account and blog to that same Association number and I should be good to go.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice,
    Leigh

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)