jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

The Nineties

1. 0
    Lybrahposted 3 years ago

When one thinks of eighties, one thinks of heavy metal, big hair, fluorescent colors, etc.  The seventies bring to mind bell bottoms and sideburns.  Each decade has it's style.  What do you think was the style of the nineties?  When you think of the nineties, what comes to your mind?
    Can you think of anything that would define the nineties?  Any events, quotes, hairstyles, outfits, accessories, songs?

2. Reality Bytes profile image94
    Reality Bytesposted 3 years ago

Grunge rock

3. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

The internet. Invented earlier, but the 90's was when it really burst upon the scene.

"Since the mid-1990s the Internet has had a tremendous impact on culture and commerce, including the rise of near instant communication by email,..."

I remember it personally. However, here's the source of the above quote, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

4. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 3 years ago

For me, the 90's where all about the expansion of the media, multimedia, and light years leaps in computer graphics. 

24/7 coverage of the first Gulf War when Iraq invaded Kuwait, The OJ Simpson car chase and subsequent murder trial.  At least here in the US, people became more 'aware' and 'involved' in the rest of the world.

Personal computers became affordable and the Internet gave us a reason to get one, and who could forget the .dot com boom. 

Jurasic Park let our imaginations run wild with what could be done with CGI and Nintendo 64 gave new life to video gaming. 

The 90's also fostered the values of the Peter Pan Generation (Google it) Also called the Generation Y or Millennials.

5. HollieT profile image89
    HollieTposted 3 years ago

Other than the fact that I had two babies, the only things that I can really remember about the nineties are Gypsy dresses. They were really fashionable in the Uk in the late nineties and appealed to me because I quite like anything remotely bohemian. Also, mobile phones!

6. To Start Again profile image84
    To Start Againposted 3 years ago

to me, the nineties is Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Clueless. Neon colors and scrunch socks. The start of chat rooms and cell phones and CD burners and the Grunge look. Mixed tapes and high tops and tall hair ala Kid n Play smile

1. Jean Bakula profile image98
      Jean Bakulaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ah, I loved high top sneakers, I forgot about those! Everyone could afford computers by then, and if you had a child in school it was a necessity so they could keep up.. More people had cell phones. Grunge rock. Everyone was getting tattoos and dying their hair weird colors. Reds were especially outrageous, I once had a really bad dye job and there was too much violet in it, so the red looked on the purple side. I had a job interview the next day at a bank, and felt ridiculous! I blew it.

7. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

For me the 90s were Nirvana, flannel shirts, and the rise of the Simpsons.