jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

What is keyword density?

1. NateB11 profile image92
    NateB11posted 3 years ago

I guess it seems simple: Too many keywords, too often, in one article. But what if your title is nothing but keywords, yet they are relevant? Is that too dense? I understand that tricksters try to pack irrelevant keywords into tight spaces, just for traffic. But it seems possible this happens legitimately sometimes too. You might actually use a lot of keywords in a space, honestly and legitimately. So, what is keyword density and what do we need to watch out for (in a non-panic-attack way)?

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Keyword density also includes how many times you use your keyword in your content. Instead of using that same keyword over and over again, think of alternatives. The Google Keyword Tool will give you some ideas. If you just write naturally, you shouldn't have a problem.

NateB11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Barbara.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Keyword density is how often you use the SAME keyword.   Google doesn't like it when you repeat the same keyword too often in a Hub.   

Pre-Panda, you were encouraged to repeat your chosen keyword (or phrase) as often as possible in a Hub, without sounding unnatural.  You were also encouraged to put your keyword into every heading and sub-heading.  These days either of those practices is likely to get you Google-slapped!

Nowadays, if you try to consciously repeat a particular word or phrase in your Hub, you'll probably find you've overdone it.    Google doesn't say how often is too often, but most people recommend keeping your keyword density for any word or phrase at less than 4%.  You can check using a keyword density checker like this one:

http://tools.seobook.com/general/keyword-density/

NateB11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that tool. I bookmarked it and just used it, it's very handy. I checked one of my hubs with it and I definitely didn't have too much keyword density. It would have been accidental if I did, but it was all well under 4%. This gave me a better idea of what this is about. Thanks.

working