jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Question about copied or duplicate topics

1. Jacob Smalls profile image76
    Jacob Smallsposted 7 years ago

Heres the deal. I wrote a guide about recording xbox 360 game footage for uploading to youtube. I get quite a bit a visits a day to it. However I often get asked how to record for playstation 3. My question is will I get flagged for having duplicate content if I use a majority of my xbox 360 recording hub in my playstation 3 recording one. Most of the information is the same for the most part. The biggest difference will be the videos I embed and the links to text guides I use.

I will have to change a bit of the text around but a good bit of it will be copied from my other thread. I really could not combine the 2 in one guide as it would be very confusing. I however do not want to write another entire hub when I have already done all the research for the previous one. Is there anything I can do to prevent this problem. Thanks in advance.

2. Lissie profile image86
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

Yes you probably will if you copy the text - try it and see - you'll get a warning - just re-write the text - its not hard to use different words especially when you know the topic well

3. Jacob Smalls profile image76
    Jacob Smallsposted 7 years ago

Any way to let them know I'm just copying some of my own material as a good majority is the same. I really can reword it and place the text and information in a different order than I have it  now. I am sure that would do it. Thanks.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Jacob, they don't care whether it's a duplicate of something you wrote, or a duplicate of something someone else wrote - it's still duplicate.

Is it really necessary to repeat all the information twice?   You could write the first Hub as a general introduction, including all the common information.  Then write a second Hub with specific xbox information, and a third Hub with specific playstation information.  Then put them all in one Group, and also include links on each Hub to the other Hubs.