How many Amazon Ads and How many Capsules per Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (41 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image95
    sallybeaposted 10 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8177290_f520.jpg
    It is my understanding that we are only entitled to have two Amazon Ads on a Hub.  I still see many Hubs with more than two Ads and also Hubs with several capsules which contain two Ads each.   What is the official ruling about this please?

1. dailytop10 profile image86
      dailytop10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Two products per capsule. How much amazon and ebay capsules you can include depends on your Hub's word count. A warning which says "too much product listing" will appear if you overlook this aspect.

1. Susana S profile image90
        Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This ^^^

....well pretty much...

You can have 2 products per capsule IF you select products via keyword.

If you hand pick products then you can still add up to 10 I believe (not that you'd want that many).

The 50 words per product listed is still the maximum limit overall. So a 500 word hub can only contain a maximum of 10 products no matter how many capsules you've used.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image73
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

3. rebthomas profile image82
      rebthomasposted 10 years ago

With the new changes you can only have two but it seems the older hubs kept their original number of ads.

4. rebthomas profile image82

I believe that changed a while back and it really is just two now.

sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice to have official clarification on this as the 'playing field' does not appear to be level if you can circumvent things to suit ones-self  - thank you for your comments rebthomas, susana5 and  dailytop10

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is two per capsule, not two per Hub. 

You can add as many capsules as you like, provided you've got the word count - the limit is one product for every 50 words.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
            Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can have more than two products per capsule so long as the products were not chosen using the keyword function or seller ID.

2. Susana S profile image90

Nope.

I just went into edit mode for this hub and it has lots of products, one capsule with 3 items and no warnings.

1. Marsha Musselman1 profile image82
          Marsha Musselman1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Susana, are all those products listed ones  you placed on there from Amazon, or might some of them be ones that hubpages placed there also? I was wondering yours have the white background and possibly the system used the blue background, or if all of them are yours, then that answers that.

One thing others can't tell from your hub is how many capsules you've used, or at least I don't think so. Until they get used to putting in their own product capsules and then seeing how it looks when the hub is published, they might assume that more products are shown in one capsule than what there really is.

On the other hand, if you wrote this hub years before things changed in this regard, then you might be able to keep the hub as you originally set it up.

I placed them all. The revenue split doesn't work by HP putting in ads or me putting in ads - it's just the affiliate ID that changes in the links to amazon.

The first amazon capsule has 3 hand picked products. All the other capsules have 2 hand picked products. There's a total of 9 amazon capsules and 15 products.

The limit of 2 products that people are getting very confused about relates only to capsules where products are chosen via KEYWORD (or seller ID - but I've never used that). When you hand select the products there's a maximum of 10 per capsule.

The overall maximum number of products allowed for the whole hub is determined by word count.

When older hubs are opened in edit mode any new rules are applied to them.

1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
              sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Some hubbers I've found placing two or three capsules of eBay at different places of the hub.  At each capsule they use two ads thus a total of 6 and in some case even more.  Is is ok?  I wish to know is the practice of two or three capsules per hub is permissible? Please clarify.

Yes, it's ok. If it wasn't you'd have a warning at the top of the hub and you would not be able to publish it.

You can have one product for every 50 words of text in the hub e.g. 500 words of text = maximum 10 products. Those 10 products can be split over as many capsules as you want.

With Ebay there are different considerations though. It's only really feasible to select products via keyword, because otherwise you'd have to be finding new products every time an auction ends.

Another important point is that it's only worth putting amazon/ebay capsules in hubs that are primarily designed to sell something.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  You'll get a warning if you use too many.

3. livewithrichard profile image72
        livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As Susana pointed out, you are allowed ONE product per 50 words, however, you are also only allowed 2 products per capsule.  You can have as many capsules as you want but if you use the 2 max per capsule you will need a minimum of 100 words.  Plus, the products must be related to the hub.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/crea … te-account

5. rebthomas profile image82

"the maximum number of keyword-based products that can be listed per capsule have been reduced to two as of April 2013. Amazon or eBay Capsules featuring more than two keyword or seller ID-based products will not be altered by this change, however if they are edited, the maximum number of products featured will automatically be reduced to two."
      per the learning center

6. rebthomas profile image82

so per capsule is confusing.  I guess you can add more than one?

1. livewithrichard profile image72

Yes, you can have as many Amazon and Ebay capsules as your word count will allow.  It was confusing at first, thinking that you could only post 2 products per hub, but that rule only applies to capsules and not to hubs.

Thanks livewithrichard - that clears things up somewhat - wonder if adding more alters the conversion rate.  I have only ever had three sales in about six months.

1. livewithrichard profile image72

It really depends on the topic but something that I find helps is to discuss a specific brand of a product that I have experience with instead of just using a keyword to select the products.  If I discuss a few pros and cons about my experience with a product and offer a recommendation, those links usually get the most clicks and purchases.

7. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 10 years ago

Amazing - I altered all my Hubs to reflect only two Amazon Products some months ago when it was first stated that two Ads were the maximum.  Some official clarification is definitely required.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It never did state that there was a 2 ad maximum for product specific links.  That maximum ONLY applies to capsules using keywords to find products.

Seems like it was not clear enough as there are so many conflicting comments here wilderness - I received a notice to reduce the number of Ads from three to two when the ruling first came into effect so I altered all my Hubs accordingly.   I used the keyword search to find the products and guess I assumed this ruling applied to any Amazon Ads.  Thanks for your comments.

2. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
          sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I also wish to know the  method of finding ads like keywords or the other one and the logic behind it all.  Could you please clarify something more about the process of placing ads through eBay and Amazone?

2. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
        Kathryn Stratfordposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The ad capsules used to have the option of having several ads within one capsule, and it was reduced to 2 within each capsule, not 2 ads for the entire article.

Thanks Kathryn, I appreciate the input - it seems I must have misinterpreted the warning when the new ruling came into effect. I originally had three ads per capsule.  I did not realize you could have more than two capsules per Hub, also that it depended on the length of the Hub. You learn something new every day!

8. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

I just published a new Hub with three Amazon capsules.  Two have five products each and one has four products, for a total of 14 products.  These were products I hand-selected, not using the auto-selection.  The Hub has about 3,000 words. The Hub was published without a problem and is featured.

I for one would like to have the official word on this - with so many conflicting view points..  I wonder what the thinking was behind the keyword search selection - why should this differ from a hand selection one!

My 'unofficial' view is that hand-selected products will be more relevant to the text of the Hub and its targeted audience than something that is auto-selected just matching keywords.

1. Marsha Musselman1 profile image82
            Marsha Musselman1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I went to amazon to try to hand select my own products but I don't really know what links to use to put those products in the ad capsule. Is this explained anywhere here?

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can paste the URL of the amazon product into the capsule.

2. livewithrichard profile image72

You use the ASIN or ISBN number on the product page and copy/paste them into the module. You can then preview them to see if they appear in the module then save it.

@sunilkunnoth2012  There is no big secret to finding products on Amazon... Just go to the site and select a product category, then select best selling... these are the most popular and best selling brands but also once you find a brand or product, you want to do a search for it on Google to see what your competition is and also search the brand or product in the keyword tool to see how much search volume there is.  You might come across the best selling brand of a product but if nobody is searching for it, its a waste of time to write about it.

Thanks for your comment livewithrichard, this is a helpful piece of advice.

2. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
          Kathryn Stratfordposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe on Monday one of the HubPages staff will answer this. I'm curious what the "official" answer to this is, too. I was confused about it at first, too, and want to make sure I have it right. Good luck.

I think your question is answered here:
            http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/crea … te-account

The two-product maximum in a capsule just applies to products from the auto-keyword tool or from the seller ID.

When you hand-select your products, they must be relevant to Hub and the number is limited by the word-count on your Hub.

9. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 10 years ago

My understanding is 2 capsules per hub as of the first time it is edited. It was adjusted to please Google after a Google refresh  Of course I could be wrong.

This is from the link I gave above:

In order to maintain a standard of high quality, HubPages requires that every Hub contain 50 words per Amazon or eBay product, e.g., if you have three related Amazon products in your Hub, you need 150 original words. Hubs that fall below this threshold will be moderated and need to be updated before they can be republished.

What's more, the maximum number of keyword-based products that can be listed per capsule have been reduced to two as of April 2013. Amazon or eBay Capsules featuring more than two keyword or seller ID-based products will not be altered by this change, however if they are edited, the maximum number of products featured will automatically be reduced to two.

Thanks for posting that Writer Fox.

It should clear up the confusion!

10. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

You are not limited to just two amazon products per hub. You can have many amazon products in your hub but they have to be relevant to what your hub is about and you have to refrain from overfilling your hub with Amazon products. If you do that Hub Pages will ask you to remove some products from your hub.

11. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

As far as capsules you can have many of them too. If your hub has many text capsules in it you may decide to have an Amazon product next to each text capsule and that would result in many Amazon capsules. That is fine to do and should not get you in trouble.

Thanks lovebuglena, I appreciate your comments.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)