The Hub Hopper: Are we doing our civic duty?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (32 posts)
  1. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I'm curious as to whether there has been a decrease in hubbers using the hub hopper to rate hubs. I just have a feeling there is because my hub scores haven't been fluctuating as much (which is fine with me). Overall, I'm wondering if there's been a bit of a slow down in hub QAP due to adjustments/transitions since the changing of the guard. I dunno. My sixth sense is picking up a change in activity, morale, motivation, etc.

1. ThompsonPen profile image66
      ThompsonPenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I rarely Hub Hop. I appreciate it, and I'd like to do it more, but it always takes me to hubs that I don't know how to rank, whether they're poetry, creative writing - how do you rank structure on a creative writing piece?? - or a hub that just doesn't hold my attention due to the subject matter. I find it hard, and sometimes I do find a Hub that I think is amazing, and I can't find a way to comment on it other than opening a new tab to get to it.
      I think the Hub Hopper could use some improvements, like maybe it only hops to hubs in your fields of interest.
      I think it's a great thing, and I wish I had more patience for it. But it's just not my dealio. I'd much rather catch Hubs as they come up on my feed, though I know I'm only seeing a fraction of a fraction of them

2. davidlivermore profile image92
      davidlivermoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I used to, but I don't as much anymore.  I know I'll get flak from those into creative writing, but when I hop hubs over half of them are poetry.  I don't want to read it.  Yes, I could just hit "hop" again, but doing it multiple times in a row is tiring.

I wish there was a Hub Hopper that filtered out poetry.  I like reading new, random hubs, making comments, flagging, etc.  But it's just not worth it as much anymore.

I appreciate poetry, but the Hub-hopper standards is difficult to rate them to move on. And sometimes I just gotta be in the mood to read them

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I tried the new hub hopper a few times, but, do not like it. It is too time consuming and not as easy as it used to be. I like it when we could just vote up, down, or skip.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Because of this thread, I went and did one. Just for you. big_smile

jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Awww, for me? Well, very nice of you. wink I'd love to here from others, especially staff, if they've seen a decrease.

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

Given that there are people being paid to do this work, I have absolutely no intention to do the same work for free.

Good point!

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

I tend to agree with that, WriteAngled.  smile

4. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
    Kathryn Stratfordposted 10 years ago

I agree with ThompsonPen. I used to HubHop, but since I already have so many hubs from people I follow to read, I don't usually have the time or the patience to HubHop. Like she said, some are not my kind of topic to read, and hard to rate. But since you mention it, maybe I will make it a point to do it every once in a while.

5. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 10 years ago

I actually just did some hopping. I did find a very well written and put together Hub about riding first class, and once again, I wanted to comment on it, but wasn't able to. Then I found a report on the news, then a religious piece, which I found the little button which said "creative writing", which I checked before moving onto the ratings. Then I found some stuff on internet dating and more religious stuff. There's certain things I just don't feel like I can rate accurately sad

1. HollieT profile image81
      HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's probably because most thinking people cannot possibly feel stimulated by internet dating and religion. Sorry, to all those internet dating, religious people.  Having said that, I once read a hub about internet dating which was really funny, interesting and like having a conversation with a friend embarking on a new journey:

http://peanutritious.hubpages.com/hub/F … net-Dating

It's not one of mine, of course, but also read the comments. Made me giggle.

Ha ha! A woman I can agree with all around! Thanks for sharing that Hub - crocs INDEED! They truly are the worst thing to put on your feet right there along with slugs and jelly fish.

1. HollieT profile image81
          HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

6. FlourishAnyway profile image96
    FlourishAnywayposted 10 years ago

I used to do a lot of Hubhopping but when they brought the old hubs to be reviewed, I'd have several inappropriate hubs (things that required reporting) right in a row.  That was discouraging and demotivating and made me feel like the police.  I stopped.  I have no idea whether hub hopping affects my score or not.  I would prefer not to do someone else's paid work for them.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They aren't paid very much to check out our hubs. I used to like hub hopping. It's a quick way to see what others are writing about. I like the old way though, so use the classic hopper. The new system is too time consuming. You can tell a hub is awful after you've read a few words, there is no need to check so many categories. I notice the religious hubs are less. I've had a problem with a majority of them, because anyone can copy 10 Scriptures word for word. But can they tell us what meaning they have in their lives? Has one Scripture opened their eyes and made them view the world in a new way? If the writer can honestly answer those questions, that's one thing. But I found it tiresome and don't believe Christians or anyone else should be recruiting people to their religion on a writing site.

7. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 10 years ago

Hopping hubs recently I have run into a bunch of spun articles.  Some of them are amusing, but it's a concern that I will run into 3 of them for every 5 hubs I hop.

8. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I still "hub hop" from time to time using the "classic" hopper because quite frankly I never was able to make heads or tails out of the "new" one.

9. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread, sharing your views and sentiments about using the hub hopper. You make valid points. Your feelings are understandable. It seems that the most common response is to let those who are paid take care of it. Second to that is lack of motivation after running into uninteresting or poorly written hubs. Whatever your reason, I think my thought about decreased use is probably true.
    I saw this week's HubPages Weekly that states a transition is going on with hubberscores and rating our hubs so maybe that's a part of it, too. But I can definitely see that things have slowed. My hubscores have not moved all week. Is anyone else's at a stand still?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

My hubs seem to be at a standstill, Jan. I am going to remove all my poetry and give it to my blog. All my poems become unfeatured after a short while and no matter how often I edit them, the get unfeatured again -- very frustrating, so.... off they go!  I do not have time to continually "fix" my poems, which I think are fine the way they are. There are only four women who are moderating hub content and they apparently do not like poetry much.

Sad to know you're moving your work and feel so defeated. You're so talented. I wish you luck with the the transition.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Well, I do feel a little defeated, Jan -- yet, I think my decision will be best for me, for my blog, and for HP. I mean, if my poetry is not helping HP be seen as a quality site, then there is no reason to keep my poems here -- and they will boost my blog a lot. Thanks for the compliment and the luck wish.  smile

10. larakern profile image69
    larakernposted 10 years ago

janshares, I try to hop a few hubs each month but lately I've been so bogged down with other projects that I can hardly find time to write a stellar hub let along hop hubs. When I was new to HP, I tried to hop a few hubs every day. For some reason it seemed to boost my author score in the long run. Instead of hopping hubs, I try to squeeze in time on the forums and commenting on other hubber's hubs.

We all do what we can. That's what matters most. Time is so precious and we don't have enough.

11. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I absolutely totally agree with writeangled, why do something for free when others are paid for it? Where I live, I cannot get paid for it.

That said, used to hub-hop a LOT! I used their old system, and found the occasional gem, but most new hubs were not just muck, they were against TOS.

The new system I dislike intensely, because you cannot opt to skip a hub, even when it is written on a topic you do not care about.

And when you find a really bad one, there is no option to just say it is bad (and why), instead you have to fill in all the boxes about where you would rate it.

Really, we all should be be hopping like mad. It is in all our interests to make the site the best it possibly can be.

Unfortunately, the incentive isn't there when the new hopper makes it such hard work.

Thanks, Izzy for your response. I agree it was easier when you could skip one you didn't care to read. I still hop, though. I don't find it that difficult, only sometimes boring. But I usually move through 3 or 4 pretty fast. I exit when I come to one I don't have time to read or interest in reading.

12. profile image0
    Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years ago

I'm fairly new so I can't comment on past hub hopping versus now, but I have done some hopping. It's definitely interesting and I like giving my input (I think I may have a calling as an editor!), but I do tend to want to spend my non-writing time reading hubs in a subject I both have interest in and can give a "view" to, comment on etc. However, a couple of times I've hopped to a hub I wanted to comment on, so I went and found it outside the hopper and commented on it that way.

That's a good way you've found to handle it, Jennifer. It is interesting and fun being an editor.

13. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

Hub Hopping is actually something I enjoy doing.  I don't mind a bit that I'm not getting paid for this.  But then I'm one of those people that likes to help when I can.  I come across some very well-written hubs that are well presented and then I find some that are terrible.

In fact I found one a few minutes ago that had no written text - not one word.  The hub only contained videos.

Sometimes, while hopping, I find an idea that I can use for a hub.  I'm also reminded of what makes a stellar hub smile

Thanks for this topic.  I've read everyone's comments and opinions and found a good variety which causes me to ponder more about hub hopping.

You're welcome, vocalcoach. Thanks for answering.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)