jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (14 posts)

Is there a way for external readers to comment on our hubs?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago

I rarely get comments on my hubs, yet some get thousands of views.  Can people outside of HP who read our hubs comment on them or not?  If not, why not?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes they can - while I don't get many, I do get a few comments from outside readers.  Some seem to think they have to sign up to comment (and I've got some referrals from that) but even that is not necessary.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

So, how exactly do they do that? I am amazed that I rarely get outside comments because that is where the majority of my views originate.  Is there a "comment" box somewhere that is user friendly?

2. Susana S profile image90
      Susana Sposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes they can but it does depend on your settings.

If you go to this page http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/comments and click "show settings" you'll see your global comment settings.

You can also edit the settings for comments on individual hubs if you want to.

Susana S:  Well, now I feel like a total moron!  I had disabled the feature that allows outside comments!  Geesh!!!  Thanks for alerting me to the settings...I had no idea I had done this!

1. Susana S profile image90
          Susana Sposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Glad it was an easy fix smile

3. Cardisa profile image92
      Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Timetraveler, most people who read articles for information online rarely comment unless the article is controversial or they need more info. Most of them rarely vote up or down an article. So don't worry about the comments.

Cardisa:  It just seems so strange to me that thousands of people could read an article and not say even one word about it!

Cardisa:  The truth is that for the type of article which I write in my main niche, outside comments might really increase views because so many have an interest in my topic.  Now I've fixed the problem, so we'll see what happens.  Thanks for your help.

1. Cardisa profile image92
            Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good luck. Comments add valuable content to articles.

2. relache profile image88
          relacheposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Unless there is a reason (benefit/gain) for them to comment, readers are just that.... Readers.

1. To Start Again profile image83
            To Start Againposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yup and they are probably leaving to read something else when they get to the bottom, not staying to comment.

Hubbers comment because we have a reason to, we know what a comment means to the author and to the community. An outside reader has no interest in or knowledge of our community most likely or the hubtivity we as hubbers appreciate

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I see you've now discovered you'd disabled external comments - but you may not find that makes much difference.

I have a handful of Hubs that get lots of outside comments, but most get little or none.  My blogs get very, very few comments too - in fact I'm more likely to get people using the "contact form" to contact me, than to leave a comment on the blog.   I think it depends on your topic.

4. galleryofgrace profile image83
      galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Just want to say that on the comments I have received from non-hubbers -clicking on their name took me to their website.  The commenter put out  lot of work for one or two clicks.

working