jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Topic vs subtopic vs microtopic

1. KitchenBuyersAid profile image87
    KitchenBuyersAidposted 3 years ago

Hi Helpers. I have been posting all my hubs to a MICRO TOPIC within home & garden...all featured ...but all with single digit 24 hr views.
    The first time I  posted to a more general SUB TOPIC (home improvement) without adding the very specific micro topic...I found well over 100 visitors in first 48 hrs...way up....
    Is that simply a case of reaching a broader audience @ Hubpages and a lesson learned ?? Or another source of a fluke...keep in mind I did not even ping it, so I doubt the article had any time for ranking and was not promoted either.
    WhatDoYouAllThink.curious

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Internal Hubpages traffic is worthless and won't bring you money. smile Topic category is nothing compared to raking well in Google.

2. KitchenBuyersAid profile image87
      KitchenBuyersAidposted 3 years ago in reply to this

What I meant to ask is ...Do you have better traffic when using a general topic or a specific topic ?? or... Narrowed down category post = narrowed down search traffic or not??

1. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My best answer is "yes, sometimes," but that really varies depending on the Hub subject matter.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi KitchenBuyersAid,

It's actually a good idea to go as specific as possible when choosing a Topic for your Hubs (be sure, of course, that the Hub's subject matter truly belongs in that Topic). Niche Topics with fewer Hubs present more of an opportunity for your Featured Hubs to have a prominent, visible place on that Topic Page. Conversely, if you put your Hub in a broad Topic with thousands of other Hubs, it is less likely that your Hub will show up near the top of the Topic Page.

Christy...you "get" where I'm coming from...thank you...Since I've started this discussion, I have posted 2 new hubs using 'home improvement' as my only subcategory. My 24-48hr views are 5 fold my typical visits using a micro niche.
        I will continue experimenting..It's really a 'hard to say' or 'depends on' issue.... as I am finding out...

2. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago

HubPages traffic is not worthless in my opinion... Most of the people that comment on hubs are from HubPages...

I think your traffic is lower because you are way too specific in your category and perhaps not that many people search for things in that category. I would stick with not going past the sub topic... as that's working out better for you.

Thank You..after another Hub using only 1 subcategory level, I agree!

3. receivetipstricks profile image80
    receivetipstricksposted 3 years ago

Yes , I agree , use seo book or google adwords to check which exact keywords are are most search and then you can get organic traffic too,,

4. Tom London profile image83
    Tom Londonposted 3 years ago

Learning a little about SEO would benefit you greatly, KBA.

working