Exclusive hub titles and their scrapping

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (36 posts)
  1. zeusspeak profile image66
    zeusspeakposted 10 years ago

You all must have read that hub regarding hubs with exclusive titles. I am not able to understand the "exclusive" icon and where does it appear? I am searching it in my account page. Want to listen in from fellow hubbers?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi zeusspeak,

We've actually just retired Exclusive Titles. You can read about it in our latest Blog post: http://blog.hubpages.com/2013/07/exclus … e-retired/

If you've written any Exclusive Hubs, the icon will still show up on your My Account page next to your Hub titles for now, though we also intend to eventually retire the icon.

1. lovebuglena profile image85
        lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have some hubs with exclusive titles... If you retired Exclusive Titles are my hubs with exclusive titles affected in any way?

Hi lovebuglena,

You'll now be able to edit the titles of those Exclusive Hubs if you want to. For now, the Exclusive icons in your My Account page will remain, but we plan to get rid of those eventually. Other than that, your Hubs will not be affected. smile

2. zeusspeak profile image66
        zeusspeakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Christy, just want to ask one question, how does that icon looks like?

It just says "EXCLUSIVE" in all caps and it appears right next to your Hub titles (only the ones that are Exclusive Hubs, of course) in the Hub Stats on your My Account page.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

When you start a hub "exclusive" titles are suggested as you start typing in your title.  If you never selected any of these you don'y have an exclusive title hub.

3. Tom London profile image40
    Tom Londonposted 10 years ago

So is there anything we have to worry about then? I'm a bit lost here.

4. profile image0
    healthylife2posted 10 years ago

Since the Exclusive Title concept is gone can we now change the titles?

Hi healthylife2,

You are indeed free to change the titles of your Exclusive Hubs now.

That's a great to hear!!!!!!!! I am sure like me many thought exclusive titles would help boost our traffic... That didn't seem to be the case..

2. zeusspeak profile image66

Christy, another thing if we change the titles of our hubs, would the url remain same or would it also get changed?

The URL will remain the same. Only the title will change.

1. zeusspeak profile image66

thx Christy for the information

5. profile image0
    healthylife2posted 10 years ago

Excellent!! Thanks for the prompt reply Christy.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Yay!  Good news - we can change titles if we need to!   BTW - question for the OP - what hub about exclusives?  I don't think I saw one.

7. psycheskinner profile image83

http://blog.hubpages.com/

I don't understand why this blog is so hard to find from Hubpages or why "hubpages.com" is forceably redirected to my feed whenever I type it in wanting to see the frontpage.  I have to Google is whenever someone says there is an interesting post.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's part of the HP blog - I thought the OP meant a hub had been written.

8. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Regarding the HP blog information about Exclusives - I respect the site's stated reasons for moving forward from that program, but there's a bit of a contrast in what the blog says and what writers were told when Exclusives were released 11 months ago as a 'beta' program for people in the Apprenticeship Program.  I do not feel there were misunderstandings on the part of writers at all.

Here's what the blog says regarding the reason the Exclusives program is going away:
    (QUOTE):

Why are Exclusives being retired?
    •    We found that Exclusive Titles did not perform significantly better than non-Exclusive Titles
    •    The restrictive nature of Exclusives made it too difficult for Hubbers to tweak and optimize their titles
    •    Exclusive Titles were frequently misunderstood to be a guarantee of search traffic rather than an opportunity to write about something not covered on HubPages
    •    Exclusives were not a significantly helpful tool for Hubbers in overcoming writer’s block

(END QUOTE)

In contrast, this is what we were told when the very first Exclusives titles were made available:

(QUOTE):  So! What are Exclusives? Exclusives are high-potential titles that don’t already exist on HubPages and will be made available to the best Hubbers within our community. Think of them as on-demand versions of the search-friendly titles we provide in the first month of the program.

You will be able to access Exclusive titles by visiting the Create a Hub page. Type a word into the title bar that is related to a subject you might want to write about, such as “cat” or “school”. If we have Exclusive titles that match that subject, they will be listed below. (END QUOTE).

As can be seen - we were indeed told these were 'high-potential' and 'search-friendly' titles.  We were also told they were titles that didn't exist on the site.  Sadly (because the idea truly was great), we soon discovered there were titles nearly identical to hubs we had already written.  We also learned these were not particularly drafted in ways that were search-friendly or high-potential. 

I'm just posting this because I do not feel writers who had those expectations 'misunderstood' anything.  We were told exactly what is written above, and many of us wrote quite a few Exclusives hubs because of what we were told above.  A few of these hubs (in my case) eventually performed well and have been good titles.  Many, though, are not at all what we were told they would be in terms of search-friendliness or potential.

Hi Marcy,

I understand your frustration and I'm sorry you feel misled by the program. I should mention that we tracked the performance of Exclusive Hubs over the past year, and they did not underperform non-Exclusive Hubs. They just didn't significantly out-perform them as we hoped they might. We thought providing search-friendly (short, descriptive, specific, properly-formatted, niche) titles might offer an advantage to Hubbers who were having trouble coming up with ideas for Hubs. But the restrictive nature of the titles ended up being more of a disadvantage, which is why we chose to end the program. Exclusives have never been (and were never intended to be) a guarantee of traffic. Unfortunately, there's always some luck involved in that aspect of Hubbing.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Her response--as I read it--is not re: the empirical fact that they performed like any other hub, but the suggestion "Exclusive Titles were frequently misunderstood". We understood them to be what they were described as being ("search friendly"--i.e. SEO advantaged). Silly us?

I have no doubt that many Hubbers (like you and Marcy Goodfleisch) understood the program and knowingly tried it for what it was worth.

We did have issues with many less experienced Hubbers thinking Exclusives were a replacement for their own title and keyword research, which was a contributing factor in our decision to discontinue them.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not to flog the horse, but the blog post specifies the kind of "misunderstanding" and that it relates to SEO.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
            Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The misunderstanding was in the meaning of the word "search-friendly".

People assumed "search-friendly" meant the title had been keyword researched.  Whereas you're saying search-friendly simply meant "short, descriptive, specific, properly-formatted, niche".

I don't think that misunderstanding was unreasonable, given the way the term "search engine friendly" is so widely used outside HubPages. 

I'm very glad to hear they're finally gone.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Christy - I do not feel misled - I feel HP told us exactly what management thought and hoped Exclusives would do for the site.  The reason I posted this is that I don't feel we 'misunderstood' anything at all.  It would perhaps be more appropriate for the site to acknowledge that management thought, and we were indeed told, that Exclusives were search-friendly titles that were expected to be competitive on the site.

It's sad to see the investment of time, energy and effort the site and many writers invested in the Exclusives idea.  It didn't live up to anyone's expectations (including the site's, I assume) so we all learned from it and now we move forward.  That's okay.

But please don't shift the focus or rationale for retiring the concept to the writers by suggesting we 'misunderstood' anything.

3. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but I think every Exclusive title I used for the Apprenticeship program have been unfeatured. Maybe one is left that hasn't. They were suppose to teach us how to write titles for the Apprenticeship program. Thanks goodness I didn't learn anything from the titles or everything I write would be unfeatured.

I quit the program in the 4th month. Other than the extra money, I don't think it helps writers that have been here several years. New people to Hubpages would benefit more.

2. lovebuglena profile image85

It is next to impossible to come up with a title for a hub that doesn't in some way resemble another hub's title or the title of something published elsewhere on the web.

3. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Marcy there. These Title have not been doing well for me. As a matter of record the exclusive titles and the titles given to me by the AP program have not been getting much in terms of traffic. I changed a few of them and viola things seem to be doing better. All my best hubs are those which were unplanned and done on a whim!

9. psycheskinner profile image83

Indeed.  I think the misunderstanding was not on the part of hubbers.  We just assumed exclusives where what they were presented as being.

10. psycheskinner profile image83

I don't think you can call something 'search friendly' unless it has qualities that make more people search for it.  More accurately it would be 'we hope it will be search friendly but ... oops'.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No research was done on these titles to start with.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Did you notice that Christy's definition of a "search friendly" title didn't include any mention of keyword research? 

Apparently HubPages' definition of 'search friendly' is "short, descriptive, specific, properly-formatted, niche".   It was our fault that we assumed "search friendly" had anything to do with SEO!!!

11. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 10 years ago

What a pity the "exclusive" will be gone! I found it useful everytime I did not know what to write. I have 10 exclusive hubs and the titles are quite search engine friendly. Well, you have to do what you have to do;-)

Having the "exclusives" disappear will not be such a great loss so don't dwell on it too much. There are plenty of ways to draw inspiration for a hub.

12. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 10 years ago

You´re right Lovebuglena. No problem for that;-)

13. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 10 years ago

I wrote a total of three Hubs using the "exclusive" titles, and I was sorry I did.  Those three Hubs have had very little traffic compared to my other Hubs.  I wanted to change the title SO badly, but of course, I couldn't. 
    Now, I'm free to change the titles and I''ll get more traffic, bettcha!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)