jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

Suggestion : Set images to the Left column ?

1. petepr profile image60
    peteprposted 3 years ago

Hi, I am new to creating hubs.
    With the capsules, I can get two colums of text. I can also get a column of text to the left
    and a picture on the right-hand column.
    But  I have not found a way to get the picture on the Left-hand column and text on the right.
    Is there some rational to this ?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

As you witnessed, there, indeed, is no current option to left justify an image in your Hubs.
      You can right justify or use the image as a full width capsule.
      In general half width and smaller images can be somewhat problematic aesthetically in Hub layouts.

I can bring up a request to add left justification ti images in our community meeting, but I believe it has been recently discussed, and was determined not to be a high development priority.

2. 0
      summerberrieposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You can side skirt it using power point to create the layout and then save in JPEG formate and upload as a full width capsule. Upload your image onto the slide and then create a text box with text on the right side of the image. Your columns will not be lined up exactly but you will have the text to the left of the photo. The word count will not count in the total because it is an image. This is also a good way to get around duplicate content if you are using large blocks of quotes....bible text, songs lyrics, ect.....

peteprposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I had recently heard about this, creating white space and burning in text. But it 's like a long way around to what seems should be an intuitively natural option, especially if you consider what is already available.
        I can only guess that the adjustment would be problematic, outweighing the aesthestics.

1. 0
          summerberrieposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Agreed. Not ideal and a bit cumbersome. Maybe another hubber will share a better technique that  renders a less problematic outcome.

I would like to have the capsule option, too. Thanks for suggesting it.

3. zeke2100 profile image86
      zeke2100posted 3 years ago in reply to this

There are times when I wanted the ability to left justify a picture on a Hub. I think this feature would be helpful. Great suggestion, petepr!

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
      Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years ago in reply to this

In several training sessions I have been in for writing for the internet, it is not advisable to put images on the left -- to do so, distracts from the text. Readers come to an article for information which they hopefully find in the text. Images should be to enhance the article, not be the prominent thing.

1. Abby Campbell profile image95
        Abby Campbellposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I agree. I've read in many blogs and articles that text should be on the left and everything else on the right. I try to stick close to the HP templates as they make my hubs attractive once finished. They also provide all the elements for an evergreen hub, and that's what we want so that our hubs are found easily on Google.

2. petepr profile image60

Well to be fair, there are reputable sites (e.g cbsnews.com ) that use images to the left, especially for the intro pic.

2. Robin profile image
    Robinposted 3 years ago

Hi, Peter! We discussed this in our meeting today; it is actually quite difficult to implement. We can keep it in mind for the future, but it probably won't happen anytime soon.  We appreciate the suggestion, though. smile

Thanks, no worries.