jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Confused About Part of the Rules

1. adragast profile image76
    adragastposted 3 years ago

Sorry if this is a frequent question, I couldn't find it. There is part of a rule I don't understand about referral. Here it is:

"In addition to earning rewards by introducing new people to HubPages, you can receive a percentage of the total impressions just by sending visitors to Hubs - no Hubbing necessary. If the Hubber who wrote the Hub was referred to HubPages by someone else, you’ll get 9% of the total impressions. If nobody referred this Hubber, however, you get 12%."

I don't get it at all. If I promote a hub on facebook, then I am sending people to this hub and I will make money from it? What does this have to do about whether this person was referred or not?

I am not sure I understand this rule at all...

1. NateB11 profile image91
      NateB11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't really know for certain, but I'm guessing it is because the person who originally referred the Hubber is already getting a cut from those Hubs; this means if you get a cut, the original referrer gets a cut, the writer of the Hub gets a cut, then Hubpages gets a smaller cut. The writer gets the 60% that all writers get; the one who originally referred them gets 10%. HP still gets 30%, if you hadn't referred the Hub. If you refer the Hub, what they get drops to 21%. If no one referred them, then HP gets 28%. If they gave you the full 12% when that Hubber had been referred by someone else originally, the HP cut would be 18%, a relatively low percentage, I suppose. In other words, splitting it 3 ways means HP is losing money on that Hub, money for running the site (though, I guess they gained some traffic and a writer). The second referrer (you) and HP's cut gets smaller. The original writer and original referrer keep their percentages because this is fair; the creator shouldn't be penalized for referrals and the original referrer was first and shouldn't be penalize for subsequent referrals. HP is taking a smaller cut each time. I don't know if my math was all correct there. But that's the basic idea, I think; it's financial, probably for specific reasons which I don't know about but that was reasoned out by their business staff/managers.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Bob signs up on his own.
        You link to Bob's hub with a tracker. You get 12% of impressions of traffic through those views.

Bob is referred by Jill.
        Jill gets 10% of all Bob's views.
        You link to Bob's hub with a tracker. You get 9% of traffic through those views.

1. lovebuglena profile image91
          lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am confused lol. So if I share someone else's hub on Facebook or elsewhere using the link with my tracker on it I will earn something?

2. lovebuglena profile image91
          lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If people actually click on the link and go to the hub that is...

1. WryLilt profile image87
            WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes. So if say 100 people click a link to Bob's hub with your tracker in it, you'll get either 9 or 12 impressions.

2. ThompsonPen profile image82
      ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I actually didn't know that you got a cut for referring people to Hubpages! I've been doing it just because I love the community. Hasn't worked so far. I have a lot "Oh yeah, that's nice..." responses.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 3 years ago

At the bottom of each hub, in the grey box, you click on link to this hub. That is the referral link that you use which gives you credit.

working