jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Copy and Paste brings additional code

1. leeroper profile image59
    leeroperposted 7 years ago

I write all my content within a word editor on my pc, when I copy and paste my content into the visual editor it appears fine. Then after saving, it includes additional code in my submission. To remove this I have to edit the "HTML" behind the hub to remove the code. I think this code is RTF related and contains formatting information. For some reason it automatically is transferred from Word processing packages.

Would some form of auto removal for this code be sensible, especially for helping new users out?

1. larryfreeman profile image83
      larryfreemanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hi Lee,

In the HTML editor, there is a "clean up html" button that may already do the "auto removal" that you are looking for.  Have you tried this clean up button?

On Friday, HubPages made some minor updates to the copy-and-paste feature to make it work better with Microsoft Word.  Have you tried it since then?  Did you see any improvement?

2. sabrebIade profile image85
    sabrebIadeposted 7 years ago

I do mine in notepad before I publish.
    I know...very primitive....LOL
    But I haven't run into any trouble with C&P with that.
    Notepad cleans up excess stuff.

3. Lissie profile image85
    Lissieposted 7 years ago

Thats nice of Larry -but the problem is basically Microsoft's not hubpages. I use Q10 - its a simple text editor which is free and does word count and spell check and nothing much else. I use it to write a lot of stuff in and then know that I all I will get in the hub text capsule or blog post is the text - I wrote a review on Q10 retro text editor here - if you still miss WordPerfect 4.2 you'll love it!

1. ngureco profile image87
      ngurecoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is good information you provide here, Lissie. Thank you.

And at the risk of sounding fussy........I am very worried of the bush fires in Australia.

4. leeroper profile image59
    leeroperposted 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice all, I do understand it is a problem that Microsoft includes within a 'Copy', but Microsoft will probably not change. Many new users to hub pages might not understand why it happens. Let alone feel confident to edit the HTML.

I have just posted content for a comment from a MS Word document to hub pages, unfortunately the same problem still occurs. Although I will try the 'clean up HTML' button in the future.

This is only a suggestion on improving the user experience for new and experienced hub users alike. A simple remove of all un-allowed code before a post is saved to the hub pages database would do it. Simple in principle, but I expect much harder to implement.

1. 49er profile image81
      49erposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't think that this is strictly a Microsoft thing, because by default Open Office does this as well. As has been stated, pasting it into notepad and then copying it from notepad to Hubpages, or whatever site, is probably one of the more common work arounds.

However, due to my security settings, whenever I try to paste into Hubpages Text Capsules, the "Paste as Plain Text" window pops up, which seems to work similar to how notepad works...

5. CarpetDiem profile image78
    CarpetDiemposted 7 years ago

Like sabrebIade above, I learned long ago to just use notepad. No "extra" stuff can get included that way. smile ~ Steve