jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Any Ideas on How to Fix This?

1. EricDockett profile image95
    EricDockettposted 3 years ago

I recently found a copy of one my Hubs on another website.  I emailed the site, and they took it down.  However, instead of it coming up as a 404, they set up a redirect so the search results send visitors to another page.  Even though my page still outranks theirs for individual sentences and phrases, they are outranking me for a single high-traffic phrase in the title. 

I'm not getting anywhere with requests for Google to update their cache or search results.  Will this all get sorted out the next time Gbot re-crawls their site? I can't get past this feeling like I've somehow been duped by this redirect thing.

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years ago in reply to this

As long as the redirect doesn't take you to another page with the stolen info, things should shake out even if you have to wait for a bot to crawl the page. When that happens, it won't find keywords and such so it'll probably get knocked down. Yeah, people can still go to the page if someone has created a link to it from their website, FB, etc but very few people will be finding it in the search engine after it's "crawled".

EricDockettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think you're probably right Sheila.  I'll just have to be patient.  I'm not good at that!

1. 0
          sheilamyersposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You and me both. I have little patience with things like this, but I'm getting better at it.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image59
    LindaSmith1posted 3 years ago

File a DMCA

?

But they've already removed the page.

3. annasantos profile image60
    annasantosposted 3 years ago

Report it to Google...File a DMCA Complaint...browse through google about DMCA and that will bring you to the proper authority.

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

There is no point filing a DMCA they have ready taken it down.  You can request Google deindex the u but that will take time

1. annasantos profile image60
      annasantosposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Filing DMCA is not only to remove the page.  Google has all the power to do everything as you request.  They for sure also have the list of websites or IP addresses that do these types of bad practices.  I've had one complaint filed a week ago for an article being copied and pasted.  Google efficiently did their job and told me that if I need further requests, I can just email them.  Reporting is also a matter of putting the culprit on "RED FLAG."

I'm not sure how filing a DMCA would help when the site has already complied with my request to remove the page.

The issue is getting Google to recognize the redirect and reindex the pages correctly.  I've tried requesting removal from their cache but they say the page is still live (probably due to the redirect). I've tried requesting a cache update but they say the page no longer returns for that search query.  It's like it is stuck in limbo and I don't know what I can do but wait.

5. Marketing Merit profile image82
    Marketing Meritposted 3 years ago

You're just going to have to wait Eric. This has happened to me before. If the copied page is indexed then you should always submit a DMCA to Google first. Only once Google has de-indexed the entry should you apply for the content to be removed.

I usually file the DMCA right away, but this time I had some kind of epiphany of  kindness and decided to reach out to the site owner and see if he'd just take it down.  Lesson learned on that one.

6. Marketing Merit profile image82
    Marketing Meritposted 3 years ago

Sometimes learning the hard way is always the best life lesson Eric! wink
    I used to be fixated on removing the copied content until It dawned on me that my first priority should be to remove the competition that came via indexing.
    Don't worry, it will all sort itself out eventually.
    Best of luck! wink

working