jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

I'm suddenly getting major spam in my comments

1. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 3 years ago

I noticed yesterday that I started getting some spammy comments on my hubs. This morning when I woke up I had an inbox full of them. The weird thing is some of them are almost intelligible and have to do with the topic of the topic of the hub, making it hard to tell between spam and a honest to goodness comment.

Anyone else had this happen to them?

1. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You should change your comments settings to only allow signed in users to post comments and so that the comments must be pre-approved.

1. Dorsi profile image90
        Dorsiposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks I just did that. I haven't checked my comment settings in a long time. Should be OK now.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
          Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't think that's a good idea, personally.  It means that only Hubbers can comment. If you don't want interaction with visitors from Google that's your choice, but I think that could annoy some people.

I do what Misty does - people don't have to sign in to leave comments, but I do not allow comments to appear until I approve them. 

If those comments are in your inbox, it sounds as though the spammer has found a way to bypass the spam filter, which is very unusual. I can't remember the last time that happened to me!  I would report it to HP as well as deleting them.

1. Pcunix profile image90
            Pcunixposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm suddenly getting a lot of spam comments too and the "Only signed in users" setting doesn't seem to work, so I can only do the "approve" method.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
    mistyhorizon2003posted 3 years ago

Personally I wouldn't choose to 'change your comments settings to only allow signed in users to post comments', instead, what I did a couple of years ago was change my comments simply to not allow comments to appear until I approved them. This avoids genuine people who aren't HP members from being excluded from commenting unless they register. What it does do though is prevent anything you would hate to appear from either a Hubber or a non-Hubber appearing on your hubs until you approve it. If you choose not to approve the comment you can delete it unseen by anyone other than yourself.

3. limitbreakers profile image61
    limitbreakersposted 3 years ago

Even I'm getting them. There's at least one spelling mistake in those comments. I'm receiving as many as 5 to 8 per day. Are Hubpages' owners aware of this situation?

working