jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Explosion of Spam Comments?

1. Alison Graham profile image93
    Alison Grahamposted 3 years ago

I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced an explosion of spam comments this week and whether this has any significance to or relationship with the recent traffic downturn and all the other problems just lately?

I never allow comments to be posted without moderating them but if anyone is allowing comments to be posted automatically this will be filling HubPages up with more meaningless c**p!

My overall traffic is now around 25- 30% of what it was two weeks ago but I have lost almost all my Amazon income as my top performing hubs were ranked in google via the hubpages topic pages - now they are indexed on my subdomain, traffic for these has fallen to less than 10% of what it was.

1. janderson99 profile image85
      janderson99posted 3 years ago in reply to this

it hasn't happened to me so far - touch wood

2. Judi Bee profile image86
      Judi Beeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Alison, it's not a problem I'm having (comments), but there's another thread about it here:

As for traffic - that is a problem I'm having.

3. Abby Campbell profile image93
      Abby Campbellposted 3 years ago in reply to this

So far, so good for me! I haven't had any spam. There was one marked as spam by HP and therefore hidden by them as well (as I have my comments automatically posted without moderation). However, that one marked by HP was actually a 'real' comment and I approved it. As far as views and earnings, I have only improved these last few month. I hope it continues (knock on wood).

2. Muttface profile image91
    Muttfaceposted 3 years ago

I have about 20 new followers who haven't written a single hub. As regards traffic, it has improved over the last week and a half.

3. Laura Ginn profile image81
    Laura Ginnposted 3 years ago

I've had absolutely loads of spam comments this week, all from non registered users.  After deleting them all I've set it so that only registered users will be able to comment.  If anything, it will deter most of the spam bots for the meantime.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

Just deleted about 10 comments this morning.

5. Jennifer Suchey profile image89
    Jennifer Sucheyposted 3 years ago via iphone

I haven't had any spammers yet. Fingers crossed.

6. lovebuglena profile image91
    lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago

I haven't gotten any SPAM comments this week or in a while. I don't check SPAM that often though and it's frustrating that sometimes when I do check SPAM I notice good comments there that are not SPAM at all.