jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Google In-depth Articles

1. EricDockett profile image94
    EricDockettposted 3 years ago

For everyone who keeps saying we should be writing 500-word articles, please read:

http://searchengineland.com/google-intr … lts-168909

My response to this news?  I'm thinking of becoming a plumber.

1. 0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't get it. Is this saying they'll post that big block on our hubpages? If so, is it only for those with Adsense?

1. LCDWriter profile image95
        LCDWriterposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If I am reading this right it will appear on search engine results.

2. EricDockett profile image94
        EricDockettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

No, it will appear in the search results.  It will take up a big ol hunk of space on page 1 for certain queries.

1. 0
          sheilamyersposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the clarification LCD and Eric.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 3 years ago

That looks like game over to me.

Don't worry, I'm sure Google will fairly evaluate the articles it puts in those big space-sucking boxes in the middle of the page to make sure the best pages appear there regardless of what website or platform they appear on. 

hmm

3. calculus-geometry profile image86
    calculus-geometryposted 3 years ago

"Google suggests that the new block will appear most often for broad topics and themes. In-depth articles will not appear for every query, however."

I can't predict how it will affect me, but it sounds like HubPages authors who stick to writing on specific and/or obscure topics will be no worse off in the SERPs than they are now.  The examples of "secret societies" and "Taylor Swift" they gave are incredibly broad, too broad to have made for successful hubs even before this change in search results displays.

True enough I suppose, depending on how far they take it. What I'm wondering is if a Hubpages article will have a fair shot at showing up in that box if it really is the best longform resource on a topic. That post seemed to suggest yes but we will see

1. calculus-geometry profile image86
        calculus-geometryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am cautiously pessimistic smile

I should amend my previous comment.  From the examples they gave, it looks like Google might showcase a long-form piece that is narrowly-focused even if the query was broad.  Like someone searches for "secret societies" and Google uses the box to highlight an in-depth piece on a particular group. So people writing really thorough treatments of specific subjects on HubPages could have a shot -- if it's true that Google isn't biased against certain sources. 

You summed it up with "we will see."

4. WriteAngled profile image93
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

Well, I would love it if Google really featured in-depth, extensively researched articles, since this is the form a lot of my writing takes (several hours research of scientific literature plus at least six hours to create an article).

I'm not holding my breath though.

At least I have the consolation that I bought some Google shares a year ago and have doubled my money on them!

working