jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Can you have 3 (or more) links to flickr or another photo site?

1. TDowling profile image88
    TDowlingposted 3 years ago

Been rereading the "Guide to Proper Image Use on HubPages." I am complying with all the royalty-free Creative Commons photo license guidelines. However, I'm not including urls for the photos in my Hubs. This started when I had a Hub that had three royalty-free photos from flickr and I was worried about what would happen if I had three links to the same site. Is this permissible? If not, is there some sort of work around?  What do you do?
    Also, sometimes I edit two or three photos together to "create" a new image. (See the attached photo.) I list the "author" and license info for each, but I can NOT include a link to one of the photos and leave the others out.

Thanks in advance for your help. -TD

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

EricDockett is correct, you will not be penalized (and are encouraged) to link to commonly-recognized image sites like Wikimedia Commons, Flickr, etc. I'm not sure about the proper etiquette for combined images, but I'll check up and get back to you.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Just to get back to you, it looks like you can cite multiple combined or edited images by stating: "This work is a derivative of" and listing the sources and their links. Since the source section for image citation here on HubPages only allows one link, I'd recommend listing all sources in the "Name of Source" section, leaving the "Source URL" section blank, and listing the multiple source URLs in the "Caption" section.

2. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 3 years ago

You can and should include the urls in your citation. You will not be penalized for more than two links to known image resources. Where Hubbers have occasionally gotten into trouble is when they link excessively  to images on their own websites.

Not sure what the proper etiqutte is when linking to two sources for derivitive works. Maybe a text box under the image with both links?

3. Anti-Valentine profile image95
    Anti-Valentineposted 3 years ago

I just wanted to point this out. In the photo capsule it clearly says: "Optionally, add a caption and enter the name and URL of the image source when attribution is required. Source URLs in photos are counted as links for purposes of determining if a Hub is overly promotional)".

As far as I know it's a 2 links per domain per hub policy.

Having said that, I have seen hubs with multiple links to one image resource, usually flickr.com. Others put the name of the website but no link, probably trying not to trigger the overly promotional warning.