jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)

If you stop and listen , what sounds are you hearing right now?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

Are you hearing people talk? birds? wind? household appliances? traffic? Are they the usual sounds, or something unusual?

1. paradigmsearch profile image87
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Crickets on my stats page.

Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I know what you mean. The silence can be deafening.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago

mountain stream music on a cd, lunch break.

Is it the sounds of a stream? We get those here naturally in the right season.  Or is it music mixed with nature sounds?

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

At the moment, only the sound of the keyboard and a barely audible hum from the laptop.

That is what I love about living where I live. There is rarely any noise. I do get very stressed if I am constantly battered by noise from traffic, people talking, other people's choice of music, etc.

1. Ella Quirk profile image86
      Ella Quirkposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Luxury! I sometimes have to write in the same room as my teenage son practising on his drum-kit.

I hope he's getting better. smile   Take a deep breath and read Beth 37's comment.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90

It is vere quiet where I live, too. When I walk the dog in the early morning, I sometimes stop and listen to the quiet.

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 3 years ago

What I am hearing would be considered an annoyance. My daughter has the TV on... but in 2 days she will return to school. The house will be dead silent again. It will be empty. I will be alone quite a bit. I adore my kids. They make me laugh, they are sweet and fun and lively. Summer's almost over so I will ignore my eye twitch today as the noise blares. Soon enough they will be grown and I will never get this time back.

1. CraftytotheCore profile image98
      CraftytotheCoreposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I love this answer.  In any other writing platform across the net, people might say, "well I hear crickets, lots of construction, firetrucks, etc.".  Writers tend to be poetic even when writing answers here.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you. Ppl are endlessly interesting, don't you think?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90

Seasons come and go. You are wise to enjoy both the noise and the quiet, I think.

5. Greekgeek profile image97
    Greekgeekposted 3 years ago

Jpop, a lively chatter of Japanese and English, and the clink of plates.

I love my sushi cafe lunch break. my ipad is propped against a conveyor belt full of all kinds of little plates of yummy things for $2 apiece.

(Alas, I just fled here early after my neighbor's shrieking kids made it impossible for me to write.)

That sounds nice-- in fact I think we are going for sushi tonight. My birthday. Any menu recommendatons?

1. WriteAngled profile image91
        WriteAngledposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Penblwydd Hapus!
        (Welsh happy birthday)

Thank you, very much-- I'm so glad I wasn't born in Wales. Nothing against the Welsh and their charming culture, but I have a hard enough time spelling English words.

6. HollieT profile image87
    HollieTposted 3 years ago

I can hear one of my neighbours yelling at her wayward son. I do believe that she is throwing him out. This family always appear to bring their arguments onto the street, talk about airing dirty linen. I'll post again if this fight becomes physical!

Let us know if you hear sirens.

7. WriteAngled profile image91

Actually, Welsh is far more phonetic than English, but the alphabet is different, although it uses the same letter shapes.

Write the hub-- if you haven't already. I have always wondered howtpeople who live in the towns with 73 letters in the name, fill out  a form or write their address on an envelope.
      how many letters are in the alphabet?

8. WriteAngled profile image91

Well that famous one,

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

was actually made up by a local shopkeeper in the 19th century to attract tourists.

People in Wales tend to refer to it as Llanfair PG or Llanfairpwll

and if you know that w takes an -oo- sound, then it is easy to recognise pwll as pool... 

and so on smile

Alphabet:

a, b, c, ch, d, dd, e, f, ff, g, ng, h, i, (j), l, ll, m, n, o, p, ph, r, rh, s, t, th, u, w, y

j is only used in a very few borrowed words

Very interesting (write the hub), but it sure would screw up the alphabet song we learned in kindergarten. smile Thanks.

9. HollieT profile image87
    HollieTposted 3 years ago

I remember the Ll makes a klu sound. Llandudno sounds like klandidno.

10. WriteAngled profile image91

It's more a sort of hhhllll sound. I found it awkward at first but don't even think about it any more.

Sorry, Rochelle, no Welsh-themed hubs from me, because I've moved the ones I already had here to my own site, where I hope to write lots of articles "all about Wales" if and when I get time to do so.

11. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years ago

Right now I'm hearing the hum of my air filter. It's fire season in the Sierra Foothills and I'm laying low in the house, hiding out from the smoke.

Oh, and there's the sound of the air tankers.

Yes-- I know the feeling. I am also in Gold Country-- but the big fire that has been smoking us for the past weeks-- is now out.

12. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 3 years ago

My new puppy whining in his sleep. (The little black one is the new pup.)

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8292512_f248.jpg

working