jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

How Many Hubs Should I Be Aiming For?

1. WriterEffect profile image61
    WriterEffectposted 3 years ago

I understand that the question I am about to ask is a little general and the answer will depend on many different factors, but please humor me for a moment.

What is a minimum amount of hubs I should be aiming for in order to start seeing a decent return?

By decent return I mean achieving at least the minimum payout level on Hubpages.

Your answers will hopefully help to set my Hub publishing goals and motivate me to invest more time here.

Thank you all in advance.

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

As each writer on this site has different levels of writing experience, picks different topics, promotes them differently, etc., there is no accurate answer to that question.

You will have to create your content, see how it does for you and develop your own strategy from there.

2. CraftytotheCore profile image97
      CraftytotheCoreposted 3 years ago in reply to this

When I first started here, a seasoned Hubber suggested that most writers need at least 150 hubs to make any decent payout.  Yet, another Hubber I just met had less than 20 Hubs and she makes payout every month.

3. myefforts profile image86
      myeffortsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Everything will depend on the content you create here on hub pages. If you are able to attract visitors with less content, that would be awesome. This all will develop with the passage of time as your content matures here.

2. skear profile image93
    skearposted 3 years ago

It depends on how much traffic your hubs are receiving and how much money you want to make.

You could have 500 hubs but if they don't receive good traffic you still won't make any income.

On the other hand you could write one really good hub that receives a ton of traffic allowing you to make a payout every month.

I'd rather put forth a lot of effort into a smaller number of hubs and have them receive good traffic than write hundreds of hubs that only receive a small number of views.

3. MyFunHealthyLife profile image90
    MyFunHealthyLifeposted 3 years ago

Seasoned hubbers will tell you that there are a few who only have a handful of hubs, all of which are stellar and get incredible amounts of traffic. Their earnings are consistent because the subjects are timeless, the quality is high, and despite Panda, continue to rank well.

There are other hubbers who write voluminous amounts on a wide variety of subjects, some are great hubs, many are just above average. Their earnings fluctuate widely based on what the latest Panda attack does, shifts between Google, Bing and other search engines, and whether or not the net if already saturated with similar content.

So the answer is to figure it out for yourself. But my money is on timeless subjects, high quality, and keeping your content unique despite a saturation of content on the subject. And yes, it *does* take time for great hubs to season and stay consistently high in rankings.

That's my experience. I've been here since 2009 under other account names.

4. aa lite profile image92
    aa liteposted 3 years ago

As others have said, it depends.  Among other things on how Google is feeling about this site.

But I would say you should aim for 100 hubs.  This is assuming that you are not a seasoned online publisher with a killer keyword strategy, but that you are a decent writer who has some idea about finding topics that get traffic.

What people generally find is that a few of their hubs generate the majority of the traffic and earnings.  Some people are brilliant at finding the right keywords, so a large proportion of what they write will be successful.

Other people don't think about keywords at all, and write whatever they feel like.  They probably don't get decent traffic even with hundreds of hubs, unless they are very lucky.

Most of us, I think, do some keyword research, and write on things that are searched for, which we think we have a chance of ranking well.  A lot of the time, for one reason or another, this doesn't work.  Occasionally we succeed.  It seems to be rather hit and miss.

With a 100 hubs you should get a few "hits" and get traffic enough traffic to get a monthly payout.

1. toptengamer profile image89
      toptengamerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have to tell you that earning a monthly payout is a pen to paper kind of thing. Research and go as hard as you can each day. Writing takes real work and if you work hard enough and put in your best work, then you'll definitely see results.

5. Journey * profile image88
    Journey *posted 3 years ago

While I agree with the other replies, generally, as I have written more, I have earned more so that is the advice I would give for those asking.

I am currently trying to increase my number of hubs because I think it is a good path to earning more.

Doing this and improving other work that I have already done is my strategy. Generally, I get more traffic on my hubs about popular topics as opposed to those on obscure topics but I keep in mind that if I am writing on a very popular topic, I will be competing with so many search engine results that I need to take the time to make the quality of the hub the best I can.