jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Why should I stay with hubpages?

1. purpleveil profile image85
    purpleveilposted 3 years ago

I am thinking about removing my account from hubpages.
    It is getting harder and harder to please them. I have done my hubs over and over and over again, just to have them unpublished. It's not like I am making any money. The hub articles are my property. why shouldn't I try to find a publisher that will pay me for my efforts, protect my copyrights, and advocate for me instead of Google? What's in it for me?

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Most of your content is based around creative writing, which garners little traffic and less money.

You'd probably be better off with your own blog, or self published eBooks.

2. MJFenn profile image35
    MJFennposted 3 years ago

While I wouldn't go as far as say I would quit, I am baffled by some aspects of what seems to be involved in publishing with HubPages.

The latest change to affect me is that only one Amazon.com product may now be linked.

Since I have written nearly 1000 hubs mostly on travel, there are at least 3 or 4 subjects which are inherently and permanently relevant to travel subjects.

1) Geography. Thus, linking with a map is indeed relevant.

2) Languages. It would be a fallacy to think that English is spoken worldwide. Thus, for travel Hubs about non-English-speaking places, foreign language dictionaries/phrasebooks are indeed relevant,

3) A guide book. Since what I have to say about travelling to a particular place isn't going to be the last word on the subject, what others have said also about the city, region or country is indeed relevant.

Granted that for computer search engine 'convenience' other considerations might also be relevant, yet geography and languages are not just going to go away because of these (just as isolationism didn't make North America a safer place).

With this new rule about linking only one Amazon product, I am forced into the unenviable position of choosing between the relevance of geography and languages, etc.

Why can't you link them in different boxes?

1. MJFenn profile image35
        MJFennposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If this is feasible, then I'll try it; thanks. What needs to be remembered is that some of us have been writing for decades, but our sensitivity to the almost constant technical changes being implemented on how we must prepare our hubs, is not necessarily acute. Thank-you for the suggestion.

You can have one product per 50 words.

3. 0
    jkhosaposted 3 years ago

It is possible to add multiple amazon products, you just need to put in a capsule for each one. I did an article 2 days ago with 2 amazon and 1 ebay ad and its featured.

4. purpleveil profile image85
    purpleveilposted 3 years ago

My current problem is that my hub contains two poems, one about boy's toys and one about hope, was unpublished for having an unrelated link. My links are about poetry, boy's toys and hope, so what's unrelated? I am sick and tired of having to work for hours on these hubs just trying to figure out what the heck they want from me when I am not getting anything out of it more than the vanity of seeing my name in print. I wrote the hubs. Why should they get all the benefit, especially when they are so difficult to work for? How am I supposed to figure out what it is they want?

And then, they sent me an email that said "your hub may be featured if you dust it off" the day AFTER I just spent two hours doing just that.

I am thinking I will make sure I have copies of my files, and then I'm out of here, unless somebody can point out something I haven't seen that is a good reason why I should stay.

Creative writing is unlikely to make you money. It is worth keeping content here if it's part of a larger body of work you use to earn online. But if you're finding it difficult and not earning, it's probably better to start your own website.

5. Palsera profile image76
    Palseraposted 3 years ago

I agree with you. It seems that every subject I want to write about is covered. What upsets me is that the use computers not real humans to decide what should be published