jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Good Traffic is not Traffic from Hubpages?

1. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 3 years ago

I've seen people say over and over again that you should try to get traffic elsewhere instead of from Hubpages.  I can understand the reasoning, but based on what I've read, it seems like they almost think Hubpages traffic is a bad thing.  I disagree.  I like the idea that other writers and educated people are the ones reading my articles (not to say that others aren't intelligent) and commenting on them.  I think that it would be good to receive a great amount of Hubpages traffic.

What do you guys think about this?

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Of course HubPages traffic is not a bad thing - I don't think anyone is saying that!   The ability to network with other writers is motivating and enjoyable. 

The point is that you're never going to get "a great amount" of HubPages traffic because there aren't that many of us.  The active community on HubPages is surprisingly small.   So if you're here in the hope of earning from your articles, traffic from HubPages is so low as to be irrelevant.  It's something to enjoy for its own sake but not part of your money-making endeavour.

2. sparkleyfinger profile image93
    sparkleyfingerposted 3 years ago

I like a bit of feedback, but google views are best for me, as it makes me feel as though I'v achieved something by ranking highly enough that I've been found! tongue

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Search traffic is where the money is.

4. phdast7 profile image83
    phdast7posted 3 years ago

It would be helpful though, and more accurate, if more people remembered that there are quite a few Hubbers who are NOT here to generate an income stream.  We obtain our income elsewhere.  We are here specifically to be part of an intelligent, interesting, and varied writer's community. 

Some writer's platforms/sites are too stuffy and not down to earth enough.   Other sites are too gimmicky or too shallowly social or too geared for teenagers ...whatever the reason HP is just right for quite a few serious writers, political, cultural,religious, social, historical, literary - fiction and non-fiction writers.

I understand Ben Blackwell's comments.   There are frequent references on HP that come off as disparaging to those who write and read for its own sake.  Perhaps the comment's authors do not intend to sound negative or critical, but often they do, sometimes sounding as if the only credible motive for writing is pecuniary.   Of course, that simply isn't so. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The stated "mission" of HubPages is to offer writers a place to write for money.  That is how HubPages advertises itself.  Therefore it's not unreasonable to assume that most members have that in mind when they join.

People who write for its own sake used to be very welcome on HubPages, but under the new Featured/unFeatured system, that has changed - someone who doesn't get external traffic will soon find their Hubs being unFeatured, which makes them effectively invisible.   I think it's reasonable to warn new members of that, too.

1. phdast7 profile image83
        phdast7posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Marissa - The way you just stated it is very kind AND very helpful to new hubbers.   They do need to be aware of the rules and regulations which support success on HP.   However, it is possible to be "Featured" even if you don't actively pursue external traffic.

I get a trickle of outside traffice "accidentally" and with 105+ hubs, almost all of them have remained "featured" through the past year and through all the HP changes.   It can be done.   I still contend (not you in particular) that a rather negative and critical tone is occasionally directed toward hubbers who aren't here to build a serious income stream.   That was my only real concern.

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

The references to preferred traffic are financially motivated.  If that is not your motive, you can ignore them.

1. phdast7 profile image83
      phdast7posted 3 years ago in reply to this

You are right of course and some of us do quite happily ignore them.   smile

6. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 3 years ago

Cool guys.  Thanks for the response.  I do eventually want to gain some pretty good traffic, but I'm not really worried about that right now.  For now, I'm just trying to write good articles, short stories, and poems as well as interact with others here.  Once I'm a bit more 'aged,' I may start to pursue traffic more.

working