jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)

Overly Promotional Violations

1. Georgie Lowery profile image94
    Georgie Loweryposted 3 years ago

I checked my Hub stats for the first time in a couple of days and nearly every Hub has a little red skull and crossbones beside it. I checked and I have this warning on each "This Hub is at risk of being identified as Overly Promotional because it has 3 or more links to a single domain."

The only links that appear more than once are the links for the images - which go to the sites I obtained them from which is required because of the Apprenticeship Program's rules. Am I now not supposed to give image credit? According to the stellar hub guidelines, I have to have multiple images, so I am supposed to take these down and find others?

1. ocfireflies profile image79
      ocfirefliesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sure hope someone who knows the answers to your questions responds for I have had the same happen to me.  Thanks for putting this out there.

Georgie Loweryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am kind of concerned because I started the Apprenticeship Program a year ago this weekend and all of a sudden these links are wrong?

1. ocfireflies profile image79
          ocfirefliesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, I am not in the Apprenticeship Program and my score has dropped considerably in a very, short time.  I am wondering what is going on.  I read comments from other seasoned hubbers choosing to leave hubpages and go somewhere else.  I am still a relative newcomer.  I would, however, like to feel that my work is appreciated and there are reasons why the rules seem to change so sporadically.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The label of that domain, rgbstock.com, has been changed, so that should reduce the number of notices you see for linking to it. In general you want to make sure to not include more than 2 links in any Hub to the same site, except for the few exceptions of white-listed sites.
      Wikipedia is one example of a whitelisted site.

@Matthew Meyer: Is this going to update or something? I currently have eleven of the little red skull and crossbones violations and I do not have the time to scour the internet for suitably licensed images to use according to the "stellar Hubs" guidelines.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78

You can force a recheck using the  "check for violations now" function at the bottom of the page here.
          http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/stats

@Matthew Meyer

I just did the violations check and the little red skulls were still there, but I refreshed the page and they're gone now. Thank you for fixing it for me. I'm sorry to come off like a harpy, but there have been a lot of recent changes here and it's hard for me to keep up.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78

No worries. Glad to help!

2. psycheskinner profile image78
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Ask for the image site to be white-listed or used an image site that already is white-listed

How do I find a white-listed image site? And, since I've been using this one for a year, why is wrong now, all of a sudden?

1. psycheskinner profile image78
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

On the bugs issue say what site you use and they will white-list it.  Or use wikimedia or foter.

3. 2uesday profile image86
    2uesdayposted 3 years ago

Is it because the site the image is from is a commercial site so the link is counted? 

I never heard of the term white-listed what does it mean? Sorry if it should be obvious to me, if I do not ask I will never know.

I use rgbstock.com for almost all of my images. The link for each image I use goes to the profile page for the photographer.

1. psycheskinner profile image78

So either go to the bugs forum and ask for it to be white-listed (seems the easier option) or use a different site.  These are your options.

2. psycheskinner profile image78

It means asking for that site to not be held to the 2 link limit.  Examples of white listed sites are wikimedia, Flikr etc.

4. 2uesday profile image86
    2uesdayposted 3 years ago

Thank you for your answer.

working