Boom or Bust

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (22 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 10 years ago

Recently I found it interesting to me personally or I thought I noticed an interesting phenomenon of sorts.

Being a country kid I can best describe what I notice as being like seeing a bunch of chickens in the yard or free range chickens. They are wandering about looking for food etc. Then all of a sudden someone dumps a bunch of corn out and the chickens all swarm it.

I see this phenomenon with search engine traffic. SEO does not seem to play a part in this phenomenon. Nor does an individual viral topic. Overall search engine traffic, dumped in particular places.

What explains this?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm confused what you're asking.

SEO is continually changing, so it's pointless trying to keep up - Google is anti-SEO as it considers it gaming, if overdone, anyway.

If you have QUALITY content in a low competition NICHE, you will get traffic. Or it could be Google testing your content for time on page/interaction. Or the topic got shown on TV and people Googled. Lots of reasons.

PhoenixVposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I prefaced that it was not due to seo or viral topics.

What if a website is experiencing extravagant amounts of traffic and anything and everything that is posted on that website is appearing well in searches, but its almost entirely garbage.

As I said. You don't need SEO.

All the reasons I stated still apply.

So if a website pumps out complete garbage and the garbage searches really well it's because its quality niche garbage?

"...Or it could be Google testing your content for time on page/interaction...."

They are not seo, they are not niche, they are definitely not niche, they are complete garbage But Google loves it because they are testing it for page interaction, even though no one is interacting and its garbage makes no sense.

2. PhoenixV profile image63

I think we have established that, repeatedly.

Obviously you didn't understand what I was saying. Good luck figuring it out. smile

Maybe you can help someone else. smile smile

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 10 years ago

I don't understand what you are asking either.  Maybe you need to rephrase the question?

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I went into channeling mode and I can tell you that he wants to know why some people get good traffic, and he does not.

Or he might be wondering why all his traffic disappeared lately.

My spirit guide has a head cold, so can't be absolutely sure.

Hope you are okay, Paul, by the way.

How is the part time job going? I sort of envy you, to be honest. The only part time job I could get would be cutting rubber. And that would mean trailing around a forest at night with only the kraits for company. The internet provides or I starve...

You and wrylit are making that assumption and cannot get beyond that assumption.

Not some people, not me. Not individual web pages or individual hubs. Not my content.

I am talking entire websites.

I was hoping that someone that had experience with websites like hubpages, or Infobarrel or someone along that caliber could answer the question. Not individual hubs or hubbers,

Okay, I have chastised the spirit guide. Although he was pretty good at getting you to express yourself more clearly, not divining your exact meaning was a serious failure.

By the way, do you baffle your readers, as much as you baffle forum users?

Or its possible you have no reading comprehension.

This is why everyone is leaving and taking their content. The forums here are rude and obnoxious.

Are you are seriously telling me that you believe your first post here was intelligible?

I clarified it. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/116042#post2462982

Do not troll me or hijack this thread. Thanks I appreciate it.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84
          oceansnsunsetsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed what you are speaking of, and here is my experience.  For instance I am thinking of a site that isn't the caliber of Hubpages, getting way more of what seems to be "google love" on all their content.   It searches (including my content) amazingly well.  What is kind of interesting is that is isn't just the quality articles on the site or niche categories, but ones with several typos, grammatical errors and that is sometimes even incoherent.  It is why it was grabbing my attention to the degree it is.  To answer your OP, I don't know what would explain that observation.   

With all the experience some of us have from being on these sites, it seems to be a drastic change from any variation of a Google response in the past, good or bad, or various possible updates where we saw some minor changes and fluctuations in our traffic.  Curious what others think on this observation that have also noticed it.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
        PaulGoodman67posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am doing okay, Will, I am managing my Canadian friend's junk business whilst he goes off launching another franchise in Georgia (I'm down in Florida).  As well as going out on jobs and trying to persuade workers to pull their weight, I am also doing some work for him at home trying to organize the backlog of invoices, receipts etc. into some sense of order, in case my friend ever gets checked out by the tax people. 

It's all relatively flexible and casual, so I can certainly keep up with the online stuff, although not write a great deal of new material at present.  I personally could probably survive on a fairly basic Bohemian subsistence level, including a little bit of starving, but I also have the wife and teenager to think about, and they insist on having food and clothing etc.  wink

That junk business sounds a little like HP. Getting stuff in order, persuading people to do stuff that needs to be done... Perhaps, it just sounds like life.

Well, at least, for me at any rate, the site is taking a little more of the weight recently with traffic up a little and running at about two thirds of what I need.

I'm not producing much new stuff in any area, at the moment. Ever since I stopped smoking, I find writing hard work. I suppose the brain will eventually recover. If the worst comes to the worst. I will head back to the fags

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
            PaulGoodman67posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Stay off the cigs.  Your brain will recover.  I speak as an ex heavy smoker.

What's killing me is the treble whammy.  HP down.  Squidoo down.  And Adsense continuing its long term decline.  I have eggs in other baskets, but they don't do as well as those three historically.  Still always exploring other options, of course.

I have done reasonably well from online earning at times.  The trouble is that it can fluctuate wildly and my peaks don't earn me enough to protect me from the troughs.

I have the advantage of living in a country where a little money goes a long way. Saving is not so hard, in times of plenty.

Even so, it is hard looking ahead to see an easy way forward for small operators. That makes it important that this site recovers. Which is one reason I get so tired of the pointless gripes of so many here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)