jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Floating ad bar causes major havoc on iPad

1. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 3 years ago

I haven't seen this while browsing HP by desktop. So it may be something special for HP mobile users. If so, it needs tweaking.

I was trying to view one of my hubs to approve a comment, and I just gave up in frustration. A horizontal bar ad kept trying to fasten itself to the bottom of the screen, covering what I was reading. Not only did it keep jumping all around, initially loading in about mid-screen and then jumping to the bottom of the screen, covering up what I was trying to  read, but also, every time I managed to scroll to the bottom of the hub to see the comments and the reply box, the dratted floating ad would load in and kick the hub back up a couple screens. So there was absolutely NO way to get to the bottom of the page, read the comments or (had I been a visitor) reply.

I think the problem at the bottom is that down near to the reply box, the floating ad would overlap with the bottom-of-the-page square ad that's just under the reply box, so the floating ad forces the page back up to avoid landing on top of another ad.

There was also no option to get rid of the floating bar, which is poor usability for any kind of advertising that covers page content.

It's a nuisance everywhere, not just at the bottom of the hub. Sometimes it seems to cause the page to jump and scroll slightly when it finishes loading in, making it very easy to lose one's place while reading.

Worse, in one of my attempts to get past it, I accidentally clicked on it, which can get one's adsense account locked.

Obviously, I can go to my dashboard to approve comments, but if it was that much of a hassle for me to view my hub and comments, I am sure it's driving away a few visitors.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sorry to hear about the navigation issues you are having on your iPad.
      I just tested using a later version of iOS on an iPad (6.1.2, webkit 536.26, firmware 10B146, Safari 8536.25) and could not produce the issue you are encountering.  I was able to post and approve/deny comments on Hubs successfully.

I'm not sure if you have an upgrade path for your device to the newest version of iOS.  If you do not, you may want to try a third party browser like Dolphin for iOS. 

That said, the issue may be a result of a rogue ad.
      Our engineering team is aware of this issue and we are looking into it further.

2. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 3 years ago

Have you tried switching it off and switching it on again? Would you like a man with very unruly hair to crawl under your desk and have a good look around?

http://www.comedy.co.uk/images/library/people/180x200/t/the_it_crowd_moss.jpg

Moss can usually sort this kind of thing. I doubt if Mathew has even heard of an 'iPad'.

I watched 3 episodes of IT Crowd this weekend wink

3. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 3 years ago

Obviously no real geeks on this site, lol.

4. Muttface profile image91
    Muttfaceposted 3 years ago

Ha ha!
    Don't think that show went across the pond.

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Strangely enough, I came across a US version on YouTube not long ago.

All the actors were been replaced except for Moss. It wasn't really the same...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNPj3jXhzgw

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image90
        PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago in reply to this

The UK version is available here in the US via Netflix.

5. Muttface profile image91
    Muttfaceposted 3 years ago

Oh dear... canned laughter.

6. Ella Quirk profile image84
    Ella Quirkposted 3 years ago

I have a an ipad 2 and that banner ad down the bottom is a major interference. It "shimmies" around, making scrolling an article  so annoying I'd guess most people would give up. It really is way too in-your-face, certainly for this version of ipad.

We are aware of the issue and are currently working to make the mobile experience better.
      You may want to consider trying a different browser like Chrome, Firefox, or Dolphin as these browsers offer features and formatting options not available in Safari.

working