jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Is it allowed to use vlc snapshot pics in hubs

1. 0
    Super Ninjaposted 3 years ago

Is it allowed to use vlc snapshot pics in hubs?
    If yes, what should I mention as the source?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image82
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

It seems to be part of Google and does not share unless you are a member. Check out their Terms and Privacy Policy if you are still interested.

2. Greekgeek profile image96
      Greekgeekposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm guessing you mean VLC video player?

Copyright doesn't care how you copy something. Whether you use a xerox to copy a book cover, a camera to copy someone's artwork, a video player to screencap a video, or you're drawing a Disney cartoon character by hand based on, well, a Disney cartoon character, you're making a copy of someone else's work. That's a copyright violation.

The question is then whether your particular use of that image may be excused in a court of law as "fair use" (you could still get sued, but this would be your defense).

How do you know if it's fair use? It has to satisfy the four factors of fair use. Here. Go read 'em. Decide for yourself, since "fair use" depends on exactly how you're using said copy.

(In general, a still from a movie being used in a review of that movie satisfies fair use, because it's a very limited excerpt, and it's for purposes of critique/commentary. That may apply to your situation, but I'm not a lawyer... the page I linked to is a very readable guide from Stanford Law School, so it's a trustworthy source. wink )

1. NateB11 profile image92
        NateB11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Interesting and informative breakdown of copyright. Good simple guide about fair use. Important issues to clarify, I've wondered about them for some time.