jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)

RESOLVED (9/2): Forum SPAM over the weekend

1. janshares profile image90
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Just reporting this problem to tech. Check it out.

2. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 3 years ago

Is it possible to set up an automatic way to block someone from starting more than say 6 opening posts to forums if they are making them in a consecutive way?

I guess flagging the profile is a good idea if they have done to many posts to report them all.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This was suggested a while back - and staff agreed then don't what became of it.

3. Rik Ravado profile image92
    Rik Ravadoposted 3 years ago

I think there is a stong case to not allow people to use the main forum until they have successfully published one or more hubs.  You could then have a limited area where new hubbers could ask questions (and spam!).

4. Camille Harris profile image
    Camille Harrisposted 3 years ago

We're currently working on removing the spam. Thanks to everyone for reporting the problematic posts/users.

We sincerely appreciate your assistance!!

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It would be great if you could change the settings so that when a thread starts with spam the whole thread is deleted.

2. janshares profile image90
      jansharesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome and thank you. My hubpage feed appears to be cleansed now. What a mess. hmm

5. janshares profile image90
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

They're BAAAAHHHCK! Please check first page of forums.

1. Camille Harris profile image
      Camille Harrisposted 3 years ago in reply to this

We got a few spammers this morning thanks to your reports. Are there other users we need to look at? I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when I looked a moment ago.

ETA: Reporting one of the offending user's posts is the quickest way to bring it to our attention. Thank you!

Actually, I think what I saw this afternoon is what 2uesday is referring to. When I saw these posts, I thought it was something new. Maybe not. I thought you could tell which are spam by looking at the odd usernames and title.

6. 2uesday profile image88

Is there a reason why the titles of the spam posts are still showing?

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Inquiring minds want to know. big_smile

7. 2uesday profile image88

I thought they could remove them completely, unless someone had left a 'second' comment on the post.

We typically can (and do). The posts you see have all been deleted; however, the titles remain for some reason (as you noted). We're looking into it now.

Thanks to you, janshares, paradigmsearch and other frequent Forum flaggers (relache, psycheskinner, fatfreddyscat, etc - apologies to those I've forgotten) for quickly identifying these problematic posts/users. Please try to ignore the deleted posts for now while we work on resolving the issue. Thanks again.

You're welcome, Camille Harris (I think hmm )
        Hey everybody, please don't brand us and bunch us all together as "Frequent Forum Flaggers." That's not what she meant, okay? Okay. Reporting this spam that attacked my hubfeed was the first time I've ever clicked a report button. Just needed to clear that up. smile

Ahhh! I see what you mean.

I should clarify that I meant "Frequent Forum SPAM Flaggers" (which you are not - yet smile ).

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
          paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Too late. We are all doomed. lol

8. Writer Fox profile image76
    Writer Foxposted 3 years ago

Google often disables AdSense accounts because of forum spam:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/google_ad … 582944.htm

Matt Cutts' advice:
    "You might just look into some ways to try to catch the spam a little faster or see if there are some ways to make it a bit harder for the spammers to post a large amount of messages on the community pages."

I think one solution would be to require all forum posters to have as least one featured Hub before being allowed to post.

Closed to reply

working