jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Status page title order sorts special characters, then #s & letters

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

My hub, The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown--Book Review, insists upon showing up at the very top of the list of hubs when I choose to sort by title.  Why would it come before any of the titles beginning with the letter "A"??

1. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The fist character in the title is a quotation mark.
      Quotation marks and other special characters sort first, then numbers and letters.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Oh-- well, humph.  I would not have thought that "special characters" counted as part of the alphabet...  should go to the first actual letter, IMO.

Thanks...I guess I'm able to edit the title to remove the quotes???

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
          Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sorting is done from the first position in the title field, or any field for that matter.  There is no need to put quotes in titles anyway.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I see--well, the tradition is to underline book titles, but since that option does not exist--I used quotes.   However, I've now fixed that, and it sorts properly.

Anyway--I do understand from Matthew Meyer's reply that the sort is sequential; I simply commented that IMO, it should ignore any "special characters."  For programmers, this would be a very simple line code addition, telling the sort utility to sort only by letters and numbers.

working