Tell us about YOU! :)

Jump to Last Post 1-47 of 47 discussions (158 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I love people's stories... but I hate a lot of detail. So if you were born in a shack in Arkansas, just say that... don't tell us what color the sky was the day you were born.

Have you achieved your hopes and dreams?
    Is your mother in law the scourge of your existence?
    Do you feel hopeless most days?
    How did you find yourself on the Hubpages forum?
    Who makes you laugh, who makes you cry?

Come on, you can do this. Who wants to go first? smile

1. writinglover profile image77
      writingloverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'll go.

Born in Texas and lived there for 12 years. Bounced around the midwest for awhile, following stepmom's jobs (you would think it would be my dad since he was in the military at the time). She ended up in Nebraska for her newest job with her sister while dad and I stayed with her parents in Minnesota since they didn't have a house in Nebraska at the time. Finished out my junior and senior year in Minnesota, went to college in Nebraska and graduated with a Spanish degree and English Minor, and also, this baby:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8385431_f248.jpg

The rest is ancient history and I think my username pretty much answers how I ended up on Hubpages and the forum. tongue

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What a pretty ring. Two languages. How cool is that? One of your parents are Hispanic aren't they? Or did I just make that up in my head?

Both parents are hispanic (except stepmom...she's Korean). big_smile So no, you didn't make that up. big_smile

1. profile image0

Tell me why you love Anime so much. How did you get into that?

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My story is too long to tell.  I am a young woman trapped in an old lady's body which now is showing the ravages of time.  I have always been an adventurer and still am.  I have been writing since I was very young, have been published in various newspapers and magazines, have published one book but have written several, and the only regret I have is that I wake up hurting every day and can no longer be the majorette I was in high school!

1. profile image0

You sound like someone I would enjoy knowing. smile

3. lions44 profile image94
      lions44posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I normally don't answer stuff like this, but for some reason I am today. My answers are probably a little different, maybe that's why.

Born and raised in the Bronx. Now living in the NW.
      1. Have you achieved your hopes and dreams? - Many of them. It's strange. A lot of it by accident.
      2. Is your mother in law the scourge of your existence?  - No. We're quite close (my parents are deceased and I've known my MoL longer than my own mother.
      3. Do you feel hopeless most days? - So far, so good. No.
      4. How did you find yourself on the Hubpages forum?  - Suggested by my niece.
      5. Who makes you laugh, who makes you cry? - My buddies make me laugh and only the NY Giants make me cry.

4. Heather Says profile image95
      Heather Saysposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've lived in Arizona my whole life.  I married my husband two years ago and this year is our tenth together.  I write on hubpages and in general because it saved my life and gives me purpose when I do feel hopeless.  I no longer speak to my mother in law because she wishes I wouldn't openly talk about being in a loony bin after trying to end my life.  Sometimes my life feels like a bad television show but I enjoy it wink

1. profile image0

I lived in Tucson and Phoenix. Where do you live?

1. Heather Says profile image95
          Heather Saysposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I live in Buckeye now but grew up in Apache Junction.

1. profile image0

At least it's a dry heat. hahahaha... *wipes tear from eye.*
            Can't hear that one enough.

5. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hehe...where to start?

Do you want the short version? Kidding

I actually get along well with my mother-in-law, most of the time, anyway. 
      Currently, what makes me laugh is my daughter.  What makes me cry is my daughter.  It's a back and forth struggle.

1. profile image0

lol Daughters will do that to you!!!

For the record... those were just example questions... I don't really assume every one has issues with their mother in law. (Though it's likely. smile ) Share anything.

6. CaptainJoeySweet profile image60
      CaptainJoeySweetposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think questions like this are so important for people today, and I love to read their reply's.  If you read anything about me you will find that I love history, and place a high value on others opinions about their own experiences in life.

1. profile image0

Other ppl make life more interesting.

7. Lauragowens profile image71
      Lauragowensposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi  smile

Born in Mendham NJ, long time Florida resident (1985). As a kid my writing was dark, therapist couch, today thank God, it's oxygen but not a brace to keep me up. I'm happy.

I write research-based and experience-inspired articles, essays and blogs. I was a marketing director/market researcher for 10 years-turned writer in 2000.  Psychology, mind-body, anything brain. I write about psych, wellness, natural health, social trends and social commentary.

Foodie. Seeker. My loves are my husband, daughter, pug, laughing, wine, travel, non-fiction, science, exercise, nature, animals, spirituality.  I'm a healthy hedonist without apology.

I enjoy open-minded gracious types, seekers and people with polite, well-meaning brass ones.  The Dalai Lama is brilliant, spiritual and he giggles. I'm not remotely a Buddhist (hedonism and Buddha likely don't mix) but His Holiness combines science, spirituality and laughing.  This seems like a good recipe.

Laura

p.s. (Brevity, not my strength. I'm new here. Hub's quality control and template are STELLAR!!! Finally a content site that wants length, depth).
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8412909_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

Welcome to you too. I also find the mind very interesting, but in terms of human behavior, emotion etc. I always say, people are endlessly interesting.

8. forbcrin profile image62
      forbcrinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"I love people's stories... but I hate a lot of detail."

It is kind of rude to start this way. Some consider life stories the little details that you don't like...  Is ADS part of your condition?

1. profile image0

Thank you for the correction in manners. I shall try to be more like you and less like me at every turn from this day forward. smile

9. abetterwaytolive profile image60
      abetterwaytoliveposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am an incredibly happy father of two beautiful little girls. I live each and every day to make them happier. I have served two tours in Iraq with the United States Marine Corps, I played the trumpet professionally for 17 years and traveled through 39 states performing. I am an avid athlete, competing in marathons, triathlons, and mud runs. I am an entrepreneur and look to continue to travel the world with my wonderful family.

1. profile image0

How lovely. Thank you for your service!!! smile

2. writinglover profile image77
    writingloverposted 10 years ago

I've always got dumped off at my grandparent's house and the bio mom would go out and party. Saturday nights was when all the anime would come on and my sister and I would watch that. Sailor Moon was my first love and always will be. Anime has been my friend since nobody in real life wanted to be mine. Yep. Will always be my first love. smile

1. profile image0

Wow. It's amazing how the adversity in our lives shape our interests. Im sorry you went thru that. You're very special. I know you have great things in your future. I'm glad I know you.

Thanks Beth! Glad to know you, too! big_smile

I have to call it quits as I have to get up at 3:30 tomorrow morning to start a work shift in the kitchen. Good night! smile

1. profile image0

Night. smile

3. LisaMarie724 profile image67
    LisaMarie724posted 10 years ago

My name is Lisa and I'm from Pittsburgh PA.  I went to school for nursing but soon realized that I hate it and decided that what I really want to do is to write.  So, that's why I'm here.  I write on many other sites and run a beauty blog as well.  I have 2 boys and I'm engaged to the most wonderful man ever.

1. profile image0

Aw, how sweet. When's the wedding?

4. spartucusjones profile image90
    spartucusjonesposted 10 years ago

I am Spartucus and I am from parts unknown. I wear a luchador mask and $5 poncho.

1. profile image0

lol... I feel like I know too much.

1. profile image0
        epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

we should be carefull to much knowledge may be bad.

5. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Whats to know......

Born in the UK... but worked in many different countries... Married... little boy who is 2 in a week or so..

Enjoy my life...

Tall, dark and devilishly handsome...

1. profile image0

Well obviously.

1. LeanMan profile image81
        LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I almost forgot my similarity in some ways to a horse (Not my strong back or big teeth or irritating laugh..)

1. profile image0

tmi

1. profile image0

wow. lol. tmi is maybe not strong enough of a word. My mind went weeeeeww off in another direction. Im sure he meant that he had long legs and hoofs.

2. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Born in the UK, no kids, shorter by the day, grey and devilish.

1. profile image0

You shouldn't chatter on and on so. Try to keep it brief... you'll lose your listener's attention.

2. profile image0

develish. Oh my.

6. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

Looks: Sort of a cross between the statue of David and Pee Wee Herman.
    Brains: VERY intelligent...my IQ is Virgo...
    Work: Never done an honest days...or nights...
    Sports: Future Olympic champion in Javelin catching...They say it's a one time sport but I'm gonna prove em wrong...
    Women: Very high standards...she absolutely MUST have a pulse...No more trying to get a conversation going at that necrophiliac club...not for me...anymore...
    And then it gets weird so I'll leave it here...cause nurse Ratchet is coming...I can here her squeaky rubber shoes out side my cel...I mean Room...

1. profile image0

I could never tell Pee Wee apart from the statue of David... you sound quite... interesting.

1. profile image0

medicated is what you meant to say.

7. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

In short response,  I was born in Illinois.
    Dreams have come true and I have more that I expect to follow.
    I loved my mother in law.
    I never feel hopeless.
    I came to the forums for help when I first joined.  Members were very helpful and I liked meeting people from everywhere.
    Children make me laugh as well as absurdity.  I only cry if I'm truly touched. Memories don't bring tears although I've lost my husband and my parents.  And I did cry at that time.  They each showed me that life is about now and fully enjoying this journey we're on. 
    I have two incredible sons, a beautiful daughter-in-law and an adorable granddaughter with another one on the way.  smile 

Probably one day I'll write a memoir.  I've kept journals since I was very young. 
    I've met a lot of interesting people, I've traveled the US extensively and now live in Florida and love the water.  I like to be with those who enjoy life.  Complainers make me crazy.  Life is way too short.
    I love the falsetto that Matthew Bellamy hits in one of my favorite songs, Madness.
    I am living my dreams.

1. profile image0

Amen!
      And... that's lovely. smile

8. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I was born in New Jersey, have lived my whole life there except for four years of college in Staten Island, New York (which might as well be in New Jersey anyway), and will probably die in New Jersey. (Note: I don't mean that last part in a "I love New Jersey so much that I'm forever loyal to it" sort of way. I mean it in a "The crushing property taxes, terrible job market, political corruption and toxic waste pollution will probably kill me in before I'm 50" sort of way.)

I've been married for fourteen years, have two wonderful sons (ages 6 and 10) and a big dumb golden retriever. Sadly, we bid farewell to our beloved 15 year old Kitty Cat just a week ago.

If you've read any of my Hubs then you probably know that I am far too old to care as much as I do about music recorded by grown men with anger management problems who are seemingly intent on destroying their instruments in a fiery testosterone-fueled cataclysm. (also known as "Heavy Metal.")

1. profile image0

Haha.

I'm sorry about your cat. sad

And as for the end... lol...

1. FatFreddysCat profile image92
        FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanx. "Shadow" was a great (and only slightly Evil) Kitteh, and we loved her dearly. She will live on in our hearts and in the photos of her that I made into "LOLcat" pictures and posted on my Facebook over the years.

9. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I'm Christin born on Halloween in the great (not really) state of Illinois, although I've lived in several other states too, and somehow ended up back here. I've achieved most of my goals, but I am a dreamer by nature so doubt I can ever reach all of them. My mother in law and my hubby are the only member of his family that aren't a waste of oxygen most days - sorry was that mean? I never feel hopeless, I am an eternal optimist. My forays into the forum are mostly to seek information and see what others are up to, sometimes I feel compelled to jump on in, but not usually. My kids make me both laugh and sometimes cry, especially when they hurt.

1. profile image0

Wow, I don't think I've ever met anyone born on Halloween.

10. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 10 years ago

My story is just a little something that started
    the day I was born that my mother retold to me
    whenever the urge struck her.  I was born in
    the cold month of March in the State of NY.
    However as happenstance told it - my mother's
    story was, 'the day you were born it was an extremely
    warm afternoon and I noticed from the hospital window
    that all the high school students were leaving school and
    taking off their jackets'.  Sort of made me smile when I
    heard that little tale.  About ten years ago - I decided to
    check the weather the day I was born.  Stranger things
    have been found out.  It was extremely cold that day about
    25 degrees with snow on the ground and then I realized
    one could not even see the high school from the hospital
    window where the Maternity Ward was located.  I never
    mentioned it to her as I thought then she had dreamt it.

1. profile image0

Wow... that sounds like the beginning of a movie... one I'd want to watch.

2. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...I live in western New York myself...and after more than 1/2 a century of weather here it might just have been warm and cold and snowing on the same day...wink

11. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

"Tell us about YOU! smile"

I was born in a manger, but raised in a log cabin.

1. profile image0

wink

12. HollieT profile image82
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

I was born on the 12th of October around the corner from where I live now. Then, it was a little suburbia and my mother was obsessed with winter and summer curtains, rubber gloves and having the latest nick-naks. I've lived in Tenerife until I was arrested for working without a permit, a small street in Manchester which was once named as the worst street in Britain by the tabloids- and beautiful north Wales.

Yes, my second mother in law was the scurge of my existence. Nope. I have no idea but I'm glad I did. My youngsters make me laugh, the world makes me cry!

13. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

I was born in a house in Arkansas. It was far from a shack, but I've seen plenty. I grew up in the country out in the sticks with three brothers--lots of fun. And we even grew up to go to college!  I do wear shoes, and I have never been barefoot and pregnant. Let's see, what other stereotypes about Arkansas? :-)

14. ComfortB profile image86
    ComfortBposted 10 years ago

I was born in Lagos, Nigeria. Now lives in Georgia. Married with three beautiful kids. A follower of Jesus Christ.

15. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 10 years ago

Born and raised in Rochester, New York. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Yankee. I have been blessed with a few exceptional people with whom I share my life. I am a young women--- about 35 years old and looking forward to the next 100 years old, but trapped in the aging body of a woman approaching 60 years old.

1. CraftytotheCore profile image76
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm also from the Northeast, in Connecticut.  Adopted twice.  Never met my bio dad.  Found his mug shot through skip tracing.  Nothing makes me cry any more.  I've been through a lot in my life and try to enjoy most days.  If I can get out of bed and walk, it's a good day.  Being temporarily paralyzed will give a person a new perspective about things. 

I love my family.  My husband is very patient with me and knows how important my independence is for me to have an opportunity to work from home to help with the financial and medical needs of my son who has Autism.

I found myself on HP forums one day and realized what a friendly group there is here.  big_smile

1. profile image0

Yes, it can sometimes be a very friendly group...smile

16. Doodlehead profile image48
    Doodleheadposted 10 years ago

I was born.
    I am close.
    You didn't want a lot of detail so I hope you can figure out the rest!

1. profile image0

explain how you are close.

17. edas88 profile image80
    edas88posted 10 years ago

Born and live in Bosnia and Herzegovina, 25, found some gray hairs the other day. Graduated English linguistics and literature, and I'm currently on my master's (translation and interpreting). I enjoy drawing and writing - stumbled upon Hubpages quite a while ago, but only recently started writing here. So far I like it!
    My dreams are looking good thus far and I can't really complain. As for the laughing and crying part, well, I prefer to laugh myself to tears whenever I can.

18. profile image0

Why did it not occur to me how awesome reading those answers would be? You're all writers, I should have known it would be entertaining and poignant and that I'd want to hear more, but I didn't. I'm so glad I asked. Thanks for sharing. smile

19. e-five profile image93
    e-fiveposted 10 years ago

I'm from L.A. originally, and now live in a small city in Central Illinois. I worked in radio for a while as a comedy writer, disc jockey, producer, and morning show co-host. My mother was a nurse, and my dad was in the CIA (I'm thinking about writing a hub about how we found 3 different passports in my dad's house in Brazil when he passed away, and the effects of his CIA work on the family).  One of my brothers is currently a Major in the Brazilian Air Force.

Oh, and I'm stuck on 99 Hub Pages followers, looking for #100.

1. profile image0

You also may need spectacles. I believe you're stuck on 97 smile
      Ive been a DJ too. Good times.
      Edit: Oh... followers, Im sorry, I thought you meant your hubber score. lol

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

20. MyFunHealthyLife profile image67
    MyFunHealthyLifeposted 10 years ago

I also write under my real name, Daniel Carter, here at HP. I started this using this avatar because of some brutal things I had to go through, which, in a nutshell is that I was misdiagnosed as bipolar type 2, and other problems, went through a lot of meds, learned out how get off them and the withdrawals and in the process have learned a lot about health and welleness.

I'm actually a composer/publisher. I write a lot of music in a lot of styles, and my stuff can be found here and there on the internet. Hence, the two accounts.

I'm middle aged, single, a grandpa, and working on some great projects as well as doing a bit of writing here and there.

I've learned that success is not a dollar figure. It's about what you've learned in life so that you don't have to repeat the same mistakes and sadness over, and over. And I confess I'm a slow learner, but it continues to get better. smile And I'm glad that I've been able to make a living as a composer.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What a profoundly beautiful description of your life.  This is making me cry literally.

2. profile image0

Well that gives me hope.

21. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 10 years ago

I am originally from outer space. Gifted with a writing talent I moved to PA. nice place. I have not achieved my goal of returning to melmack. But recently did give up trying to eat the family cat. And if anyone realy knows what I am talking about. Your awesome.
    Seriously though. I am a writer from PA who enjoys,( for no special or mystery reason) internet anonymity. I am an easy to get along with and understand person. And I like to smoke while I write.

1. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Alf?!?  This is Willie!  How have you been?

By the way, that cat's day finally came.  Guess what's in the freezer with your name on it!

1. profile image0

Willie! am I glad to see you. Hows kate?

1. bBerean profile image60

Kate is very excited that I've heard from you.  It's been years now and she would really like to reclaim the freezer space.

2. profile image0

˙ʇɐɥʇ sı ǝɹǝɥʇ oS ˙uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ I puɐ

22. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

I'd like to comment about your comment about detail! I wrestle with myself all the time for not wanting the metaphor or the lovely description!  I don't like writing straight "how to" writing, and find the personal essay form somewhere inbetwee. (I throw in some metaphors, just because I know people like them).  I just got off the phone with a dear friend who actually "speaks in metaphors".  I'm not a science type and I love poetry, but not so much in the prose. I'm glad to hear someone else just likes the story!  I'm reading an historical fiction now by D.W. Linden, "Second Son" and I find that story driven narrative the most enjoyable for me!  Cheers, Billie

23. profile image69
    insert-name-hereposted 10 years ago

Well, so... here's the thing about me... In West Philadelphia, born and raised, on the playground is where-- Okay, okay, I'm not doing this. But I really wanted to.

Anyway, your queries, madam.

Have you achieved your hopes and dreams? No. Well, some. But not all. And not the big one.
    Is your mother in law the scourge of your existence?  I don't have one, hahaha! I doubt I ever will because I'd rather not get married.
    Do you feel hopeless most days? Yeah... but if your mindset is always "life is a colorless humdrum mundanity" then... wouldn't you?
    How did you find yourself on the Hubpages forum? I logged in. It was there. The magic happened.
    Who makes you laugh, who makes you cry?  Mm... My brother makes me laugh. My parents make me drink alone in the corner while crying. You know. Man tears. Even though I'm a woman.

Now... you wanted very little detail, so I'll do my best. Here's my life story:

Phew. Nailed it.

24. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

born in MIlwaukee, married romantically during Vietnam. moved to Tacoma following my VN husband back after his tour, then back to Milwaukee, back out to Northwest (this time to Seattle), then onto Waseca, MN, Madison, Wi, then onto Fridley, MN, later Columbia Hts.,MN, then back to Fridley.  The VN husband then left our tiny family (the defining tragedy of my life). Met my rescuer Mike a few years later and several years after that moved with him to follow few-and-far between software jobs after 2001.  Ended up in Greenville, SC, then onto Pittsburgh, PA, next Lake Forest, CA, bought a house in Corona, CA, sold it when he was laid off and moved to Louisville, KY for employment.  We bought an RV in Louisville and moved to Newport Beach when job in Louisville ended; lived in RV for 6 years in Newport Beach CA , bought a condo in Laguna Hills, Ca, presently selling the condo and then back to RV in Newport Beach. I've been a teacher of the deaf, sign language interpreter, writing tutor, educational software company owner and some other stuff I can't remember. Mike and I plan to get a smaller class C RV (we don't have a truck for our 5th wheel) and then hit the road when he "retires" in May to start following contract software jobs around country again.  Needless to say, I'm not accustomed to staying put.  I feel like breaking out into, "My Elusive Dream" after writing this! My daughter is a singer, actor, comedian, who is just about to...(well, we don't wanna jinx it)

25. profile image0

lol... those were all great.
    How do we all survive from day to day? Life can be brutal and life can have so many ups and downs. Seems like life's bi-polar enough on its own.

26. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 10 years ago

I'm a perfectionist, I compare myself to others way too much and often feel completely inadequate. About 90% of the time I bite off way more than I can chew, which makes me way more productive, but also makes life way less enjoyable. Sometimes I think I'm a halfway decent writer. Other times I'm convinced that I can barely string two words together.

I'm really stressed about being competitive and being able to get into a career that I can work my way up through when I graduate. I'm worried about debt and not having enough money. I'm worried about wasps because wasps suck.

I really like peanut butter and I really want Rosetta Stone software for Arabic.

1. profile image0

I don't know what you're worried about. I can barely see your profile pic. thru all your high scores and accolades. Soon they're just going to have a sign up over your face that says, "She's better than you. Give up now." wink

1. profile image0

Breathe beth! Breath.

1. profile image0

I promise.

2. Shanna11 profile image76
        Shanna11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't even know how the heck I have a hubscore of 100 though. I DON'T DESERVE IT! D:

1. profile image0

Hush, I can't hear you anyway over the jealousy ringing in my ears.

1. profile image0

HeyHey breathe!

1. profile image0

I told you I wouldn't stop... although no man is promised another day.

2. Lauragowens profile image71

See, I bet you do deserve it smile I'm pretty new here (very) but I suspect you're doing all the right stuff according to Hub metrics smile

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image61
      AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Shanna1, I strongly that recommend you to read my hub: how to improve your lifestyle. Looks like you could benefit from reading it.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image85
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Shanna11, I wrote a little story about comparing ourselves to others called, "Polly and the Measuring Stick,"  It's a download on Amazon, I think.  'Everything was just fine in Mrs. Shumway's garden, until the Garden Club came to visit....There were "ooh's" for this flower and "ahh's" for that flower, but no "ooh's" or "ahh's" for Polly.'  The little petunia goes on a journey of comparison that brings her down to the ground, but it's when she's there that she discovers a mantra that helps her flourish once again.  Of course, I wrote that for myself after my husband left for a friend of mine who was smarter, kinder, thinner, prettier.  I had to do SOMETHING to not go completely insane.  Writing that little story about Polly Petunia helped.  Since you love to write, you might write your own little cathartic story and publish it for others. Mine looks like a children's story, but it is actually for adults.
      Comparison with others is a deep part of my psyche, but age has helped, and quotes like these:
      "Count your blessings, don't compare them. "
      "You'd worry less about what people thought of you, if you realize how little they do. "
      "I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning to sail my ship."
      "Life breaks everyone and many are strong in the broken places."

27. profile image0

How can we get Matthew Meyer to answer this thread?
    What if I pretend to have a technical problem. (Ahem)

Dear Matthew,
    I cannot post my recipe hub "Beetle Soup". What kinds of foods did you like growing up and how did you get into the business you're in now? Should I use pictures with watermarks?
    Thank you,
    Sincerely,
    Beth37

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're my top pick right now for forum queen..

a breath of fresh air!

1. profile image0

Aw, that's kind. My first thought is that I'm an annoyance so breath of fresh air is way better! Thanks! smile

28. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

Born in NYC, adopted and moved to Queens.  Married and moved to Ulster County where I still reside with husband of 46 years, four children and seven grandchildren.

1. profile image0

Do you mind if I ask how old you were when you were adopted and did you have siblings?

1. tillsontitan profile image82
        tillsontitanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was four months old and no, no siblings.

1. profile image0

Have you always considered it a positive thing?

1. tillsontitan profile image82
            tillsontitanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually yes.  I was lucky to have wonderful parents and in my mind I knew my birth mother gave me away so I could have a better life.

1. profile image0

That's awesome. Thanks for answering. smile

29. Dallas Matier profile image85
    Dallas Matierposted 10 years ago

In west Philadelphia born and raised. On the playground was where I spent most of my days. Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool, And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school. But, then, a couple of guys, they were up to no good. They started making trouble in my neighbourhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared. She said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-air"

And, that's the story of how I became the prince of a town called Bel-air.

Sometime after that, I moved to Australia.

1. profile image0

insert name here already used that one. Sorry. you'll have to try again.

1. Dallas Matier profile image85
        Dallas Matierposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Heh. I did take a moment to scan the thread before I went for the cheap joke. Though, apparently, not well enough.

1. profile image0

Uh... fresh prince theme song is never a cheap joke. it's always good stuff.

30. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 10 years ago

Tell us about YOU! smile

Post deleted by author
    Have to redo that link...oops
    That pretty much sums it up! hmm
    I am a Rock
    Not smile

1. profile image0

No aliens.

1. snakeslane profile image80
        snakeslaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And to think I almost voted you Forum Queen!

1. profile image0

lol. Well, I didn't understand your post.

It was a link to a song eventually...

For brevity's and clarity's sake I am re-doing my answer to Forum post question here. Previous post was too (badly) edited...

I am a Rock

Not! hmm

31. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

A fresh of breath air.

1. profile image0

You have really fresh breath, I must say.

1. profile image0

Good thing it was not a breath of fresh hair. That would be awkward!

32. pastorjoe4400 profile image62
    pastorjoe4400posted 10 years ago

I am a pastor and bible teacher. I live in east Texas. I am 55 years old. I was addicted to alcohol and drugs for 35 years of my life. I now help people who are addicted to all kinds of things. I am married and have three children and two grand children. If you know anyone who needs help feel free to get in touch with me. I hope that is short enough with not much detail.
    Pastor Joe

33. Thief12 profile image89
    Thief12posted 10 years ago

I wasn't born in a shack in Arkansas.

No, I haven't achieved my hopes and dreams... YET!

No, my mother in law is one of the most loving and caring woman I've known. She'll probably throw her daughter under the bus for me.

No, I don't feel hopeless, just resigned to most of life's ups and downs.

I don't have to find myself in the HubPages forum cause I know where I'm at when I log in ;-)

My wife makes me laugh, and overall injustices make me cry.... oh, and some films :-D

1. profile image0

Agreed. Injustice, especially to kids is something I can't handle. I can't even watch the news. Im always a basket case by the end.

34. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 10 years ago

http://www.fontspace.com/preview/m/466c316f91b085808781b3aeaa3d3807.png

1. profile image0

my link is broken. makes me sad.

35. Martin VK profile image61
    Martin VKposted 10 years ago

Ive spent most of my childhood on a tiny island in Denmark. Mom and dad got separated when I was three. It was no big deal - my dad moved to the capital of denmark, so my life was half village half metropolis which I suppose was cool for me. Im 22 now and have lived on 18 addresses, and I'm not quite sure how that can be. Anyway, I made a user on this thing 9 days ago. I really love it. I love to write!

1. profile image0

Welcome! What an interesting life you've already had. smile

36. CaptainJoeySweet profile image60
    CaptainJoeySweetposted 10 years ago

My great grandfather was a Brigadier General in the Army during WW2. His son, my grandfather, was also in the military during this time serving as a Captain and instructor pilot of the B-24 Liberator.  On the day he was to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross, my dad and his twin brother were born.  They postponed the ceremony so that the young captain could be with his family. A month later, in September of 1944, my grandmother received the medal post humus in Arlington cemetery. My grandfather and his crew were killed during training over the Nevada dessert.

Fast forwarding a bit.... I would have to say that hearing stories of my grandfather has truly inspired me in life to set the bar high in what ever I do.  As a US Coast Guard veteran, I have had the opportunity to be involved in circumstances that have challenged me in numerous ways. It is also where I learned how to do things with boats that I never imagined could be done. 

Since leaving the Coast Guard over 20 years ago, I have continued working on boats. As a licensed master captain I have had the opportunity to work for many high profile clients, in both the yachting and private charter industry. I continue to move yachts around for their owners, often traveling the Key's, Bahama's, and Eastern Seaboard. I would never have imagined that I would have the opportunity to see so many beautiful places, and meet so many unique people. 

As someone who has kept journals for many years, it is only natural I guess that I find myself writing on different topics today.  I first landed on hub pages a couple about a month ago, and have already gotten my first editors choice for an article about traveling by boat across Florida.  I'm looking forward to writing many more, so stay tuned!  Thanks for this fun trip down memory lane, and to everyone else who has posted a bit about themselves here thank you too for sharing!

1. profile image0

Wow that's facinating, and the story of your g-grandfather would make an interesting movie.

37. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

I am an Australian who lives off the grid, actively striving to live a self-sufficient and sustainable lifestyle.  At various times I've lived and worked in different countries and I am lucky to have had a very interesting career. My husband also tired of city life and enjoys our life off the grid as much as I do.

My children range in age from pre-teen to mid-30's which explains my username. (I've been a mother for a long time now.)  I intended to write lots about my kids (including foster kids) when I joined hp, but I decided to give them ownership of their own stories. My off-grid lifestyle is probably more interesting anyway.

The details are in my hubs. lol.

1. profile image0

Im jealous of you. How awesome your life sounds. How many kids do you have?

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
        LongTimeMotherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Birth mother to three spread over 22 years. I filled the age gap between the first two by fostering. By the time my youngest reaches 18 I'll have been a fulltime mother for 40 years, lol. This is the first time I've been a stay-at-home mother though. With the others I went to work and missed some important moments.

It is r-e-a-l-l-y nice to be fulfilling multiple dreams at this stage of my life. smile

1. profile image0

I actually went thru the whole process to foster care with the intention of adoption. (They told us this was possible.) However life had a different plan for me and never got to foster at all. I still wonder if it's in my future. I'm so glad your kids have you. A blessing all the way around.

I know you are the mother of the famous Lily ... so I take it you are intending to one day increase the size of your family. What's standing in your way?

1. profile image0

I stopped working to stay home with Lily and now that they're all in school, Im back at work. Plus we're working out some relationship stuff so it doesn't seem like the right time. smile

2. LongTimeMother profile image93

Oops. Just noticed it is 5am local time. Should have mentioned I don't waste much time sleeping. lol. That's a big part of who I am. (I have way too much fun when I'm awake to sleep longer than necessary.)  'Nite.

Well that's sleeping, breakfast and the first chores around the farm taken care of.  Now, where was I? lol.

2. Lauragowens profile image71

Oh and ironically I've been working for years on getting more/better sleep. Adrenal stuff I found out, hypoglycemia, so my sleep has been cruddy off and on.  Without 7 and very GOOD sleep, I'm no good smile

38. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 10 years ago

I was born in what on Earth as known as the Delta quadrant of the galaxy on a planet much larger and denser than Earth, which exhibits a very strong gravitational field. My body is therefore used to that gravity allowing me to leap many miles distance in a single bound on Earth. As well, my bones are much denser and can withstand intense pressure exerted on them without breaking. This allows me to live a much longer life span than humans.

While on a reconnaissance mission, I crash landed on Earth some 150 years ago. I helped provide many of the inventions humans now possess, but have done it in such a way so as not arouse suspicion. For example, I had met Einstein when he worked in a patent office and saw that he had a very good understanding of physics, so I sat down and explained to him the concept of Special Relativity, which he then gave to the world. He persisted that I share my understanding of gravity and threatened to expose me if I didn't, so I provided that for him as well with the understanding he never contact me again.

Other inventions I have provided include the transistor, Velcro, electron microscopes and MRI.

ATM is actually an acronym for Alien Terrestrial Mutant.

Now you know.

1. profile image0

Lost interest 3 sentences in.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
        A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ADHD?

1. profile image0

Im allergic to bs.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
            A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That must make it very difficult for you to write or say anything.

1. profile image0

I don't know what you... HEY!

39. Beth100 profile image71
    Beth100posted 10 years ago

Canadian
    Love nature and anything hockey
    Love the cold, the snow, the changing of leaves in the fall
    Love writing, editing and creating
    Able to be technical while being creative
    Lived too many lives to count
    If I were to write an autobiography, it would more than likely be shelved under fiction
    Love life

1. profile image0

I let you have the full on 100 cause of the bikini. smile

1. Beth100 profile image71
        Beth100posted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL

There's a bit of history for my bikini -- it started about four years ago when I joined HP.  I once changed my profile picture, but due to a large outcry from some of my fellow friends, I put it back up.  It's has stayed up since.  smile

I'm about 10 months shy of this, but welcome to HP! 

I haven't been around much the past year due to personal matters, but hopefully, will be back on here with a vengeance very soon!  big_smile

1. profile image0

That's funny. I started out with a pic of me in a bikini and there was a huge outcry for me to take it down... must have been a mix up of sorts.

1. Beth100 profile image71
            Beth100posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Strange.

The site is very different than it use to be, plus I have noticed that many of the long time writers are no longer here... or at least less frequently than they use to be.  Different audiences and fellow writers.

40. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

It is wise to wait until the time feels right.  Say hi to famous Lily for me.

1. profile image0

She is quite fabulous. lol
      Thanks. smile

41. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 10 years ago

I was born in Wales - Family travelled by ship to NZ in 1970. Moved around a lot & ended up in Australia after getting married   young & I have 3 beautiful daughters & 2 grandchildren now .
    Married for the 2nd time we have been traveling around Australia after my husband had a major heart attack. I have severe ADHD and very bad arthritis in the knees and finding it harder to walk each day.
    We have just been camper vanning in Britain/ Europe and right now after a cruise to Alaska we are in Banff Canada !
    We worked hard to save for this trip as the doctors wont replace my knees as I am too young and can still walk.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8411256_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

Ive always wanted to go to Wales... and on an Alaskan cruise. Is it as beautiful as one would imagine?

2. LongTimeMother profile image93

Hi freecampingaussie. NZ greenlipped mussel capsules and gel fixed my arthritis and rebuilt the cartilage. My knees are stronger than ever. I wrote a review and my experience, but you could just google Mobicosa. Love your photos!

42. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 10 years ago

Both are beautiful places to visit . I loved Alaska and would love to go back and spend more time there.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8421745_f248.jpg

43. Davis Kiavwa profile image57
    Davis Kiavwaposted 10 years ago

Hi,  Madam   I,am   davis  kiavwa   from  kenya   and  i,  join   this   site   Recently.I, like  this   site.it   is  real  nice  full  of  People  of  New  Ideas.I, love  people  with  new  ideas.

1. profile image0

Indeed.

2. bBerean profile image60

Welcome to HubPages, Davis.

44. Davis Kiavwa profile image57

Before  i,  finished  High  School, My  Dreams  was   to  come   to  USA   to  Work  and  Live  that   was  2004.Still  my  Dreams  i,  have   Cause   i, have   Been   Applying  for   the   GREENCARD  since  2004  Upto  2012.Not   succeeded  but  i,  Faith   this  time   i,  will  Succeed   To   USA.I, am  with  my  wife.we  have  no  Kids.We  are  Struggling  with  life  in  Kenya.To  put    Food  in   the  Table  is  Hard.Cost   of  Living  is High  and  i, don't   have  Job.I. am   Ready   to  do  any   work   in  USA.I,  don't   Choose  Job.

1. profile image0

I have been to Kenya. It is beautiful country. I wish you and your wife well sir.

45. PegCole17 profile image92
    PegCole17posted 10 years ago

Hello Beth. I just wanted to say this was truly entertaining and I enjoyed gleaning the bits and pieces of people's (and alien's) lives shared here. It was a valuable learning experience. Wow.

While I sipped my Kirkland's coffee I pondered my life story, desperate to add something of value and entertaining to this amazing thread. It is clear that HubPages is a community of fiction writers who blend the perfect amount of life experience into their stories.

About me? I'm part Gypsy having moved about the country a lot as a child. I wore out my welcome in a number of states before I found myself starting over once again in Texas. I moved here in my car with everything I owned piled in the tiny Dodge borrowed from my brother who lived in Kwajalein at the time leaving behind my heart and my beloved Buckwheat (dog, not the real Buckwheat). Survived life in the business world in a number of seemingly random and unrelated jobs in the volatile times of the seventies when bosses were chauvinists who pinched and grabbed in the supply room, and that's just the office supplies. Mini skirts were the current thang, unh hunh. Then people were marching off to war. La de dah de dee, la de dah de dum. Ho hum. I'm boring myself now. zzzzzzzz

1. profile image0

How can so many of you live such amazing lives on one forum? I feel that I should join the circus or invent a new anti-biotic to keep up!

46. Davis Kiavwa profile image57

I,am   davis   shauri  kiavwa  from  Kenya  Mombasa  Town.I, am  Born  Again  Christian  and  I, love  God.I, am  a  family man.i,  am  tall  and  some  how  Brown.My  Body is  Average.My  Hobbies  is   Swimming,Traveling,Riding Bicycle,Watching  Movies,  Cartoons,Preaching  the  Word  of  God,Reading and Playing  chase.I,am  friendly.I, like  Honesty  friends.I,  want  friends  to  start  friendship.

1. profile image0

What body of water do you swim in?

47. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

Brevity is not my strong suit.  I have never outgrown the "why" stage, so I feel compelled to explain the reasons behind things; I hate answers in the style of "just because."
    When reading, I, too, lose patience with the author who has to describe every shadow on a blade of grass, but I do appreciate some level of detail.

So--"about me" is not a short story.  This is as short as it gets:

I am an only child--an over-protected 'lonely only,' who always got along better with adults than my peer group.  My dad refused to have a TV; we read, played board games and listened to music for entertainment.
    I was beyond merely shy, I would not ask questions in class for fear of being ridiculed by the others, so I'd save up my question to ask the teacher privately after everyone else had cleared the room.  This shyness led to developing my writing skills.  I have always expressed myself better on paper than in speaking extemporaneously (where I always suffered with the rueful, "I should have said"). 
    Raised 2 kids, pursued multiple interests; was married 30 years, then divorced.  In my golden years, I've now been married 15 years to my soulmate.

Short enough?  wink

1. profile image0

No, I love that kind of detail... indeed it is the shadow of the blade of grass that bores me endlessly.
      How very interesting. I have heard many ppl who considered themselves shy say they always felt after every conversation "I should have said" whereas ppl who are very extroverted say, "I wish I'd have shut my mouth." I find ppl like you very interesting b/c you are a mystery to me and I feel the compulsion to solve a mystery.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)