Are links left in comments read by google?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Thomas Swan profile image96
    Thomas Swanposted 10 years ago

Someone left a bunch of wikipedia links in a comment on one of my hubs. They were relevant to what we were talking about. I would rather not delete the comment unless I have to. However, I'm also aware that mass-linking, especially to wikipedia, can be a problem. Do google and other search engines read these links? Could it affect the page performance?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What is the title of the Hub?

Thomas Swanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's called "40 Facts About Genghis Khan". The comment it definitely not spam though.

2. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

Absolutely.  This is why I delete any comment with a link, with the exception of when the link is to a Hub by a Hubber whose work I know very well.

It would be nice if we had the option to strip code from our comments.  It is a bummer when someone leaves an otherwise wonderful comment, then decides to emphasize their point with a link to some site you've never heard of.

Thanks for the info. I might delete the comment but leave one myself to thank him for the information he gave and to explain the deletion.

#1 – all of the links in comments are NoFollow, which means that Google is not dispersing PageRank to them.
        #2 – those links are to a high PR site and Google particularly loves Wikipedia
        #3 – in this case, I would leave the links because they add relevant content to your Hub

1. EricDockett profile image96
          EricDockettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't google still know what a link is to even if it is nofollow?

Yes, of course, Google knows what the link is so you should never leave even a NoFollow link to a bad site or to an unrelated site.  In the Hub in question, however, the message sent to Google is that the author of the page is not personally recommending the link.

2. Writer Fox profile image31

PS: I would, however, remove all of the links in your photo credits.  Those are spammy links and they are followed. You don't need any credit for a public domain image and the Wiki photos which do need a citation don't require a link.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
            DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I find quite a few public domain images that often request, and sometimes demand a link-back to the site... "If this photo is being redistributed, you MUST link back to this page" is the usual type of thing I see.

Also--if I do not put a link to prove that it is a public domain image, (so HP can check), then how would HP know that it is a properly used image?

What would be to stop someone from simply stating that something was a public domain or CC photo/image even if that were not true?

Does a link to the source, therefore not serve as a 'checks and balances' protocol?

HP doesn't require that you give a link to an image source.  If the copyright owner of the image requires a link, you can put it at the end of your Hub in a Text capsule and use the "NoFollow" attribute.

In using this site, sometimes you have to make a choice between having a Hub as an HOTD candidate or having a Hub that will be found every day on Google search results pages.  I  choose Google.

3. Thomas Swan profile image96

Thanks, I'll leave the comment as it is then. With the photo credits, I'm just going by what hubpages say is good practice. Do they make an exception for wiki photos?

I know.  I go by what Google says are best practices.

2. EricDockett profile image96
        EricDockettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it's only to wikipedia its not likely to hurt you. I'd probably still delete it just on principle.  It's bad form to drop a bunch of links like that, IMO. 

Again, if we had the option to strip links he could make his point without changing your link profile, and anyone who was really interested could cut and paste.  And you wouldn't have to feel bad for denying his comment.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 10 years ago

It is a spammer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)