jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)

What NOT to publish on HP if you want to get featured............

1. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 3 years ago

Newbies, there is a learning center which you should visit before publishing your first article here. Here is the link Learning Center

However, just in case you are about to start a thread about unfeatured, unpublished or flagged articles here is a head heads up on what you should definitely not publish on Hubpages.

- Computer/software hacking/jacking
    - Sex, sexy stories,erotica, sexy poems
    - Nude photos (shirtless male may be acceptable but photos should not show genital areas)
    - Explicit rape (these stories must be done in a tasteful manner but your ads will be automatically turned off) these stories will be published at the discretion of HP staff.
    - Gambling. You can write about past addictions and how you got over them, however you must never encourage this behavior.
    - Guns or any weapon of mass destruction. You cannot be selling, encouraging the use of, teaching the mechanics of making or anything of the sort. Think carefully about what you write about guns. You can write about gun restrictions and policies etc.

There are more so you need to read through the learning center by following the link above.

If you go ahead and publish these articles you do so at your own peril. The consequences for violating HP policies can mean a permanent ban of your account. Your IP may also be banned from creating a second account.

Note: there may be other simple reasons why your hub goes unfeatured such as grammatical errors, hub too short, lack of clarity, link to certain sites, too promotional and so forth. As I said you need to visit the learning center to learn more.

1. 61
      Izzzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you very much for your suggestions.   They are greatly appreciated.

2. aliasis profile image96
      aliasisposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I was writing an article (from an academic perspective) about sexuality in mythology, particularly LGBT instances in ancient religions. I never published or even finished it but I was alerted that advertising would be disabled.

I used some classic/historic artwork that involved nudity - Greek statues of gods, for example, and a Renaissance painting of Apollo who was also nude. If that's the reason why advertising was turned off, I find that... pretty lame. lol

If it was the text, it was just accounts of myths from an academic perspective - some are a little crass but I never went into detail. I know there are probably some "trigger words" that Hubpages/Google Adsense is alerted of, but I honestly don't know what word I would've used. It wasn't like I was writing erotica or even talking about sex in depth.

Though I'm not sure if "ads disabled" is the same as flagging, or if it's a point against you. Since I didn't publish I guess I have no idea if it would've been flagged, too.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If it was no-ads without publishing, it likely wasn't the pictures. The automatic filter isn't sensitive enough to "read" images to figure out whether they are adult or not... Those are flagged by humans.

It was likely words or a combination of words that caught the automatic filter.

Same thing happened on a hub I was doing about the game "cornhole".... yeah.  You can ask that it be looked at by a human moderator.

It's not a black mark to have a hub with no ads, you just won't make any money off of it.

1. aliasis profile image96

Thanks for the reply. I wish the disabling tool would tell you what words are "forbidden", or at least highlight the offending area so I'd know what to go back and edit. I once tried temporarily deleting sections of this particular hub, and one section made the warning go away - then I tried to figure out what paragraph caused the problem by going paragraph by paragraph. The thing is, it was inconsistent in telling me what paragraph was causing the problem, so I'm still a little stumped.

Maybe I'll go back and play with it some more. It's not really the end of the world if I don't make money off of it, I guess!

2. Cardisa profile image89
        Cardisaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Beth is right. Most likely the automatic filters picked that up. If you change around some words and phrases you may get through the filters since the topic isn't about rape. I once wrote an article about spousal rape (my own experience) HP published it but told me that they would turn off the ads because it's against Google policy to place ads on any article about rape. The article did very well but I made no money from it.

Using nude art work such as sculptures and painting (once tasteful) is okay.

1. aliasis profile image96

It seems sex is a really touchy subject. I'm sorry to hear about what you went through - it seems to me if a subject is approached genuinely and respectfully, or academically, it shouldn't matter - but I guess, then, they run into the problem of where to draw the line.

I'll try rearranging some sentences and see if I can figure out what caused the problem on my own hub, or request a human moderator to check it out.

3. Writer Fox profile image81
      Writer Foxposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My avatar is a nude photo.

Ooooo, you are such a fox wink

4. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

NOTHING about rape is "tasteful," explicit or not.  What an offensive concept.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Also never post anything about armadillos.

Jeez, how could I forget that one? Thank you so much Paradigmsearch tongue

2. PegCole17 profile image91
      PegCole17posted 3 years ago in reply to this

3. Journey * profile image87
    Journey *posted 3 years ago

Good advice for all Cardisa. It pays to give the Learning Center some much needed attention and not just jump right into writing without reading the valuable hubs there.

P.S.- my deep sympathy for the trauma you faced in your life and subsequently wrote about here.

Thanks Journey, writing has helped me get past most of my issues along with the kind words of people such as yourself. Have a blessed day.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

Dammit!! So much for the ten-part Photo Hub series I was planning about the time I was raped at gun point by a nude armadillo!! *(kicks rock)*

Dammit! I would have love to see that smile