Is there a downside to gaining new followers?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (14 posts)
  1. brianlokker profile image95
    brianlokkerposted 10 years ago

In the past two days I've gained about 15 new followers. Since I've been here 2-1/2 years and previously have never had more than 100 followers, I'd like to think that all of a sudden I've been "discovered." But virtually all of the new followers have just joined HP a few minutes before following me, they have zero hubs, and judging from their names, (most) seem to be commercial accounts.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Should I be worried about it?

1. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, you can't stop people from following you on HubPages; you only control following people back.

I would advise you to regularly check your content for plagiarism.  One of my followers on HP has plagiarized my work and is still allowed to have an account on this website.

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, they're spammers of some sort. They end up leaving you spammy fan mail too. It's weird to see one of these accounts, they are following one person... and that one person is you. I don't know how it works, but it is a bit disconcerting.

brianlokkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've gotten some odd fan mail from these new followers and a couple of comments, too. I usually like to approve any comment I get, but these exhibited no clue that the commenter had read, or even skimmed, the hubs.

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

no, they're not interested in reading our hubs. smile

3. agvulpes profile image86
      agvulpesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would agree with the others but add that if their profile looks 'suspicious' go ahead and click the Flag button on their profile and let HP staff work out if they are 'spammers' smile

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No.  You can be penalized for following too many people, but not because of who follows you.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How many is too many??  LOL!  I follow a lot of Hubbers, but I don't go around just randomly following every name I see pop up.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dozens in one day can get you flagged as a potential spammer.

2. brianlokker profile image95
    brianlokkerposted 10 years ago

So what's going on with this? A new batch of followers every few hours. In the past 2-3 days I've gone from about 100 followers (after 2-1/2 years) to 133 as of a few minutes ago. Hallelujah, right? My great hubs are finally being discovered!

I don't think so. Nine out of ten of the new followers seem to be businesses. Their profiles are essentially business sales pitches, including a complete address and phone number. They have zero hubs. When I check their activity on their profile pages, they're just following people, one after the other. And it seems like it always starts with the same group of about six hubbers, of which, for some reason, I'm one.

I know I can't prevent anyone from following me, and of course I'm happy to expand my audience, if they are legitimate hubbers and they are actually an "audience." But these followers are coming fast and furious, and it doesn't look legitimate to me.

You can report them from the top right of their profile page. (Keep an eye on your Hubs for content theft.)

I did report one that looked obviously spammy, and one was banned before I had a chance to check him out. But I've been reluctant to report most of them because I've been thinking that maybe they've published a hub or two but the hubs don't show up on their profile page because they haven't yet been "featured."

You can also check their Profile page and see if they are rapidly following many people.  If they are and they have no Hubs, I think you should report them.

(I followed you yesterday!)

Yes, that seems to be what most of them are doing, and I'm inclined to agree. I'll check back on some of them in a day or two and report them if the pattern continues.

Thanks for the (legitimate!) follow! I followed you in return and I look forward to reading your hubs, especially those on SEO.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)