jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

HP's ridiculous rules are pissing me off

1. CarolynEmerick profile image91
    CarolynEmerickposted 3 years ago

Ok. I'm just really annoyed at HP right now. I understand they want original content. But I was going to start a column where I collect old public domain things, from poems to photos and paintings, to excerpts from books, and put them together in an article which is like a little collection. This would be all stuff that is in the public domain, NOT ripping off copyrighted work at all. HP flagged it as "on another site" and took it down. Part of it was from Gutenburg, and other poems can be found on the internet... but it was "original" in that they weren't collected in that way before.

In publishing, there is such a thing as a "collection."  It is a body of work previously published and collected and manicured by the person credited as "edited by," instead of authored by, on the title. This is sort of what I'm attempting to do here. And it blows that HP has a stick up their ass and doesn't allow it. It could be very interesting and popular and actually bring people to their site!!

Sorry it's just that I just got my first editor's choice on my last hub, and then this happened and I'm really frustrated! I actually put a lot of time in to locate poems, content, and images...

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sorry this happened, but original means just that...original, as in original writing.  Taking somebody else's work and putting it together is not original writing.

2. aliasis profile image94
      aliasisposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, I'm with HP on this. That's not original writing. It's public domain, but that doesn't mean you should be able to make money off of it if it isn't yours. It might be work to compile, and it might be interesting for people, but it still isn't yours.

3. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Obviously you don't, or you wouldn't be having issues due to repurposing unoriginal content.  HubPages do not want material that can be found anywhere else on the Internet.

4. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Before you throw it all away, it might be worth your while changing the contents so that it is still a 'resource'.

What i would suggest is that you put all content that is not original into a box (or boxes) and make a snapshot of it, so that is shows as an image (but still readable).

Make your comments on these articles underneath these snapshots in your own words which are original.

In the end, for a little more work, you can have more or less the same-type hub,

Worth a try? I have no idea of your keywords, or their competition, but it might work. It will certainly by-pass the copied-content issue.

working