Separating words in the title

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

OK, so this may be a dumb question but I really would like your opinion;
    When giving a hub its title which format (if any) is better? For example: "Portraits-Taking Better Shots"

I wonder which is best to separate one part (words) of the title from another; a comma, a slash, the minus sign and so on or does this have any bearing on traffic, do Google, Bing, Yahoo... even care?

I know that from a grammatical point of view the semi-colon could make sense but don't know if it is appropriate for websites.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It all depends. I use the vertical bar "|" to separate strong keywords if the title doesn't flow. Example One Pot Meals | Jamaican Seasoned Rice Recipe With Ackee. As you can see the title can be split in two with both titles working.

For titles with one keyword but an extended description I use the colon. Example Gorgeous Korean Actors: Sexy Males On Screen. This only has one keyword but I needed a longer title description.

If you are using the vertical bar you need a space before and after. If using the colon place it directly after your first phrase, then space, then complete the title. See examples above.

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are semi colons not allowed? I have many titles with semi colons. Do I need to go back and change them?  We are always learning.

I'm not sure. I don't use them because they make titles look like sentences to me.

1. brakel2 profile image73
            brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Cardisa. You have so much knowledge, and I appreciate you.

Most of what I impart is what I have picked up along the way...lol. Thanks smile

2. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I usually use a colon or a dash. Looks more professional as opposed to using a slash or the vertical line (whatever it's name is). No matter what you use though it won't appear in the url of the hub.

3. Thief12 profile image90
      Thief12posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I typically use a colon, or maybe a dash.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I even use the "~". Whatever you use, be sure there are spaces between it and the text, e.g., "Bananas ~ The Untold Story"

3. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I've been trying to figure this out since day one on HP. I'm still not clear but I would look at how successful hubbers handled it and try what seems to work. I now use the slash (/) 99% of the time. I can't seem to figure out where the vertical slash is on the keyboard. As paradigmsearch says, the spaces between slash and text are important. It could affect SEO.

1. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you have a standard keyboard, the vertical slash [ | ] is the shift of the backslash [ \ ]. As far as I can tell, Google seems to ignore dashes and colons in a title.

1. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, RonElFran.

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Whether or not to use colons : or dashes - or pipes | is massively debated in SEO.  And preferences seem to change from time to time.  Current wisdom seems to favor being consistent whichever you choose. 

Using a tilde ~, which is a graphical sound indicator from Spanish and Portuguese, is not recommended in web page titles unless it's needed for the language.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey, relache! Thanks!

I've still got a few of those laying around. I'll get rid of them.

Update:

The good news. I booted out the remaining ones in my titles.

The bad news. They are so darn purdy, that they have treacle'd into some of my H2 titles. Those are going to take awhile to find.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

To separate title and subtitle I use a colon [ : ]

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

With the example you have given, I would change the wording to make it answer a search query rather than separate the word 'portraits'.  If you do a google search for that specific title, you'll see what I mean.
    I think with more emphasis on mobile searches and the latest google Hummingbird, it makes sense to specifically state what the content is about, especially if it's a how-to hub.
    I haven't updated all of my titles, but I changed a few that I had separated like that.

7. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

Did a search using: Portraits - Taking Better Shots. The top results all use the - to separate words.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the question. It's one I've wondered about, but never think to ask until I'm ready to post. Then I am in a hurry to just get on with the work.

8. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

I use colons occasionally-- but in the example you gave-- couldn't you just use "Taking Portraits" or "How to Take Better Portrait Shots"  ?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That was just a sample, not a real hub. I just wanted to gauge the response to what others thought would be a better choice.

Try not to use the delimiters if you can avoid them. The example you showed does not require separation. Rochelle is right about tightening up the title. The best titles are simple, easy to read and flow well. So minimize the use of separators if you can.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)