jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Infamy. Infamy, they have got it infamy...

1. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 3 years ago

Finally I have achieved fame in the country on which I love to write after spending several years there working - Saudi Arabia..

Have just found out from one of my commenters that at least one of my hubs is now banned by the censors in Saudi Arabia (about dating in Saudi Arabia!) It took them long enough!! Maybe I should have put more pictures of those sexy ladies fully cloaked in black from the tops of their heads to their oh so sexy toes.

So now I have to contend with pandas, penguins, hummingbirds and crazy clerics when it comes to getting my pages viewed!

1. 0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I wondered about that when I read your article. I hope that is the only trouble you incur.

LeanManposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Lets just say I don't think I will be returning back to Saudi Arabia anytime soon.. lol

I do get some very "nice" comments left by various Saudis and their supporters on my hubs, most of which I try to publish if they don't contain too many profanities; however these oh so good people tend to swear a lot and use too many suggestions for unnatural sexual acts with members of my close family or my pets - obviously something that they themselves are familiar with as they just know too many details.. lol

1. IzzyM profile image85
          IzzyMposted 3 years ago in reply to this

What religion are the majority of Saudis?

I know Google (or someone) hates religion being brought into it, But just which religion requires women to dress in black from head to toe, requires burqas, marries little girls off at 14 or younger? What about the little 9 year old who died because her 40 year old 'husband' wanted sex on their wedding night?
          Is this the same religion that wants world peace, supposedly?

1. Reality Bytes profile image94
            Reality Bytesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I believe most Saudi's are wahabis!   

Saudi funding

The Saudis have spent at least $87 billion propagating Wahhabism abroad during the past two decades, and the scale of financing is believed to have increased in the past two years[when?]. The bulk of this funding goes towards the construction and operating expenses of mosques, madrasas, and other religious institutions that preach Wahhabism. It also supports imam training; mass media and publishing outlets; distribution of textbooks and other literature; and endowments to universities (in exchange for influence over the appointment of Islamic scholars). Some of the hundreds of thousands of non-Saudis who live in Saudi Arabia and the Persian Gulf have been influenced by Wahhabism and preach Wahhabism in their home country upon their return. Agencies controlled by the Kingdom's Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Endowments, Da'wah and Guidance are responsible for outreach to non-Muslim residents and are converting hundreds of non-Muslims into Islam every year

LeanManposted 3 years ago in reply to this

But go into Saudi Arabia with a couple of bibles and a few pamphlets promoting Christianity and you will be arrested and jailed as it is illegal to attempt to convert a Muslim to any other religion!
              If you walk through many of the souk areas you will be approached by people handing you books and pamphlets to convert you to Islam. If you tried to do that with any other religion you would be dragged off the streets never to be seen again!
              They are building mosques in every country around the world yet there are no churches or places of worship for any other religion in the country at all!

2. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 3 years ago

I should add that I actually liked being in Saudi Arabia, it is one country I felt really safe to walk the streets.

However if I were a woman and I can safely say that I would never be out alone, ever!!

Most Saudis are no different to anyone else in the world, they want their comfortable home, 42" TV, big car and every other luxury they can afford while they sit eating their takeaway KFC.

Most Saudis are pleasant people, the trouble is that many of them have been bought up in a culture that looks at women as third class citizens and considers people from third world countries as slaves which they can maltreat and even rape (Muslim men are allowed to have sex with their wives and their slave women!)

Too many use their religion as justification for bad behavior that would never be tolerated in any other society and they fail to pursue Saudis that break the law with regards to abusing non-Saudis and non-Muslims. They would much rather bury their heads in the sand (which they have a lot of) and ignore problems in their society than acknowledge problems and do something about them!