jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

1. 0
    Beth37posted 3 years ago

So I was just about to make this post on a different thread when it hit me... this would be a good thread of its own. I would love to hear about your childhood heroes. Real or imagined, they made an impression on us.

When I was a little girl, we didn't have a TV... ours broke, my mom didn't like it so she wouldn't replace it for years. I would go to my neighbors house... two boys and twin girls, and we'd all watch batman reruns at 4 o'clock. (I didn't know they were reruns at the time, nor did I know what a rerun was I spose.) Every once in a blue moon, the opening title sequence seemed slightly different... then all of a sudden, out of no where, a motorcycle crossed the screen with Batgirl riding it.
    We got so excited, we would all run outside and tear around their jungle gym. I don't think I knew why it was exciting... I just followed suit. But the huge adrenaline surge made me think it was the most amazing happening since... well there's not too many things more amazing when you're 5.

From then on I wanted to be Batgirl. I would go down into the basement, wear my parents motorcycle boots, tie a towel around my shoulders and sit on their parked motorcycles and pretend I was solving crimes. To this day I still get excited when I see her...  which, being heterosexual can be a little confusing, but I think it's tied to my childhood memories. I have a lot of meaningful heroes... ppl Im genuinely impressed with, but this one is all fun. Good times. smile

1. CraftytotheCore profile image97
      CraftytotheCoreposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I wore super-roos.  Wonder Woman ones.  big_smile

1. CraftytotheCore profile image97
        CraftytotheCoreposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I messed that up.  They were called Under-Roos. LOL

1. 0
          Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I remember those... I had a Wonder Woman bathing suit... At 9 years old, I didn't quite fill out the wings like she did.

2. ChristinS profile image94
          ChristinSposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I had those too! Swore I was going to be wonder woman when I grew up.

2. 0
    Beth37posted 3 years ago

I loved this story, hopefully you can all see it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … mp;theater

3. cjbryant27 profile image60
    cjbryant27posted 3 years ago

Great Memories! Thanks! I remember running through the yard with my friends pretending to be
      horses! (My Friend Flicka!)
    I guess my real hero was a teacher. She handed out huge dictionaries to all of us in third grade and then proceeded to guide us through the front of the book where the pages decribed originations of the English language, and how to figure out how to say the words we looked up. That sounds like a lot for 3rd grader, but she managed it in a way to make it exciting and interesting!
    Now that I think about it, maybe she was the one who lit my interest in reading and writing.
    Thanks for the thread!

1. 0

Now THAT is a good hero story. Thanks!

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 3 years ago

I was 12 years old before we could get TV. Before that, there was no signal until they built a TV transmitting station.

Even then, it was black and white TV.

Honestly, the Star Trek people dropped a notch or two in my estimation once I realised they wore blue or yellow.

In shades of grey, you still knew who was going to get bumped off first. They new face!

1. 0

At least you always knew who was going to die... it was the red shirts. Never wear a red shirt when you're beaming down to an unknown planet, I always say!