jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

What are Best Practices for HubPages RSS Feed and Widget Usage?

1. EricDockett profile image94
    EricDockettposted 3 years ago

Is it wise, post-Penguin, to use your HubPages RSS feed or widget on your blog?  It's the same topic, so there would be no unrelated links issues. 

My thinking is, as long as it only appears on one page, and not in the sidebar of every blog post, and as long as you're posting frequently here at HP so there is a reasonably quick turnover of links, it might be okay. 

But I don't know.  My thinking has led me astray before. Or am I over-thinking it all?

What do you think?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Which do you hope to earn more from, your blog or your Hubs?

The current advice is, link one way only.  So if you're linking TO your blog from your Hubs, don't have any links on your blog back to HubPages.

EricDockettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, I don't know which will ultimately make more, but right now my HP account is starting to make decent income, and I'd be pretty bummed if that went away because of some dumb linking mistake I made.

Right now my thought is to only link from my HP profile page to my blog, not to link individual Hubs to individual posts. 

From my blog to HP I'd have the widget with 4 links to Hubs, plus maybe a nofollow link from one page to my HP subdomain url.

Is this strategy likely to doom  my HP account?

1. Cardisa profile image90
          Cardisaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I can't tell you about RSS or the widget since I stop using them some time ago but this is what I've done.

My recipe blog is pretty successful and my HP traffic has been steadily rising since the middle of this year. It's literally jumped 100% since last year.

I have my blog linked to my HP profile. I have several recipes linked to my blog but not within the content. They are linked as a part of the drop down menu or list of links as individual pages. I do not use contextual links in my blog. I think this is working great for me as both blog and HP account have not been affected by the latest Google penalties.

see here:
          (caroleesbestrecipes.com)

I see how you've done it.  You're site looks really good BTW.  smile

1. Cardisa profile image90
              Cardisaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Eric big_smile

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 3 years ago

Where people really screwed things up in the past was using their RSS feeds inside their own Hubs, to link up their other topics.  Major backfire as soon as the Pandas and Penguins hit.  The editing carnage internally was sort of stunning, and just made me supremely glad I'd never chosen to go down that route.

If the content is closely related, there should be no problem.

Thanks relache.  I appreciate your opinion on this.

working