jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

Google's new short URL

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
    LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago

Just received an email from Google asking if I want to change my URL from the long version  to a shorter version (google.com/+LuisEGonzalez). I am wondering if this is a good idea since they would no longer recognize the longer version. Any opinions?

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have redirected it through my own website.

So www.wrylilt.com/+ works for me smile

I'm guessing that the short url would automatically redirect to the long one though?

2. MarleneB profile image93
      MarleneBposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Claimed mine today! +MarleneBertrand. I like it! Now, I can remember what it is when I go to add my g+ profile to other pages. Thanks LuisEGonzalez, for opening this forum. Had it not been for you, I never would have thought to look for an opportunity to shorten my g+ URL.

2. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 3 years ago

I switched because I just figured it's where Google is taking things, so trying to hang onto the old URL didn't seem like something worth doing.  Keep in mind, though, that I only have the Google Plus page "in case I ever really want or need it".  I don't do much on it - at all. 

What I've seen from the switch is that it's immediate and that any Blogger blogs that have the "About Me" included with the use of the code from Google automatically go to your G Plus profile with the new URL.  Changing the URL on other stuff isn't a big deal - or at least the stuff I've got set up hasn't involved a big deal to change the URLs.

So, keeping in mind that I'm not "all involved" on Google Plus, I don't see any real drawbacks for me.  The new, short, URL is easier to deal with and looks "less weird" or "less huge-Google-y" to me - so I'm fine with any unforeseen drawbacks.

What I'm expecting in my own situation, and knowing my own future aims/plans, is that the shorter URL will, at least may, work to my advantage - and maybe in ways that aren't apparent right now and that involve future changes Google may make.  Basically, my approach to changes like this has always kind of been "stay current whether it seems important to me right now or not".  Not keeping current most often means having to catch up later when things may not be so simple.

Maybe I'm wrong.  Obviously, there may be drawbacks for others who approach Google Plus differently than I do, or who incorporate it more into their work.

Haven't seen you around for awhile! smile

1. Lisa HW profile image82
        Lisa HWposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Wrylilt, hi.  I'm surprised someone would even notice.   hmm   I'm not on here much these days.  I'm still figuring out what, if anything, I want to do with any Hubs I have left on here after removing over two hundred of them.  Still also trying to figure out what I will or won't be writing on here from now on.  On top of it all, though, one of my sons was in and out of the hospital most of the Summer.  He's OK now, thankfully.

We had a slow Trick-or-Treat night because of the rain, so I figured I'd come see what was going on in the forums.

I see so few of the old faces, I miss so many people. The forums are slow these days sad

Glad to hear everyone's ok now at least.

1. Lisa HW profile image82
            Lisa HWposted 3 years ago in reply to this

They are slow - and more religion-focused than ever, I think;  which, I suppose, doesn't help keep the interest of people who had once been a lot more active.  I don't mean to stray from the OP's thread-subject, but a little "checking in" with old, familiar, faces can be nice.  Stepping out of the thread now, but nice to chat a little with you, Wrylilt.

smile

3. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 3 years ago

I claimed mine yesterday. I also claimed short url's for my Pages.

1. Danette Watt profile image88
      Danette Wattposted 3 years ago in reply to this

how do you claim short URLs for pages?

1. Anamika S profile image69
        Anamika Sposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Got a mail from Google  that I am eligible for  unique Google+ custom URL for my pages and I claimed them. If you have more than 10 followers to your Page, then you can claim short url through the About section of your G+ page.

working