jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

How do you deal with writer's block?

1. Ergonomics profile image86
    Ergonomicsposted 2 years ago

I have been writing on Hubpages for a little over a year now and lately I've noticed that I have become so uninspired and unmotivated when it comes to creating new hubs. I think I may be going through writer's block. How do you deal with writer's block? Any tips?

1. JG11Bravo profile image94
      JG11Bravoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Music usually does it for me. Some days its classical, some days it's metal, but music seems to have a way of putting me in a more creative state of mind.

2. talentvilla profile image60
    talentvillaposted 2 years ago

Have you tried the old trick of grabbing a book and reading? Or get out their to the coffee shop and chat to the owner or waitress about whats troubling them, you will find loads of inspiration but you need to look in places you have not in a while!

3. janshares profile image87
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

It happens to the best of us, Ergonomics. The good news is that if writing is your passion, writer's block won't last forever. It's just temporary. I wrote a couple of hubs on the subject. I suggest you look at some of your best work, recall the feeling you had while writing those pieces, that sense of accomplishment you had after completing them, and the accolades and comments that followed. I guarantee it will reignite your motivation to write again. You also may find ideas in some of your previous work that you can expound upon in a new article or "Part II follow-up." Keep me posted about your progress. smile

4. plogan721 profile image85
    plogan721posted 2 years ago

I read or I will get inspiration by going to places that I have never been before, such as surfing the internet.   Once I have the information I need, then I can start writing again.   If i am having a real hard time, I stop, pray, and get back to it in a few days.

1. JulesH profile image86
      JulesHposted 2 years ago

Ergonimics, make sure you write about something that really interests you - this strategy works really well for me when I get a writer's block. Instead of writing something on my "to-do list," which I think could be a popular article, but is not necessarily something I'm obsessed with, I skip it and move on to something I've been thinking about for a while, reading about or talking about with my friends. When you are really passionate about something, writing will just pour out of you smile And then once you are riding that wave of productivity after writing about your interest, don't stop but use that moment to write everything else you wanted to write; it will be a lot easier at that point!

2. ChristinS profile image93
      ChristinSposted 2 years ago

I use freewriting or mind mapping.  Sit and just write - jot down random thoughts and ideas for a set amount of time, even if it's writing about not feeling inspired to write smile.  As you get the juices flowing, you'll find some gem ideas among the scrawling.  A mind map can help you organize your thoughts better also.  If you have a broad topic, you can use branches to come up with subtopics, and then branch those off even further etc.  It can give you a list of ideas for a rainy day.

1. Thelma Alberts profile image82
        Thelma Albertsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have not heard of mind mapping before Christin S. Thanks for the heads up. This is indeed a great idea.