jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Is it time to dump Google?

1. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 3 years ago

Do you think that it is time to dump Google and maybe help your hubs by doing routine searches on other engines that may improve rank within them? I found one or two that are new and up coming. No one search engine can replace Google that is not already saturated itself. But, several new small search engines may, if fostered by doing direct searches for your content, equal up to more than you get from Google.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly.   How does searching for your own content help?

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

So long as Google has huge market share, and works well, I will stick with Google.

I guess some people on these forums haven't lived long enough to remember when Alta Vista or Ask Jeeves were the top engines LOL.  People use what works. As long as Google works well, people will keep using it.

1. JG11Bravo profile image92
      JG11Bravoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ha! Alta Vista. There's a nostalgia trip.

2. Earl Noah Bernsby profile image85
      Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Your post inspired me to run a "History of Search Engines," search (ironically on Google):

http://www.wordstream.com/articles/inte … es-history

1. profile image0
        epsonok0posted 3 years ago in reply to this

cool. i remember the butler jeeves. he now lives in the world of retired logo people along with wallmarts smile guy.

1. Earl Noah Bernsby profile image85

And Spud MacKenzie ... And that lady who fell but could not - despite her best efforts - summon the will to rise.

4. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 3 years ago

Why would you spend your time searching for your own material?

1. Earl Noah Bernsby profile image85

Perhaps for the same reason that Patrick Stewart watches re-runs of Star Trek: The Next Generation? wink

5. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 3 years ago

You might be surprised how many of those small search engines buy their search results from Google.  Also, as Google Analytics is used by the majority of websites to track user activity, it would become apparent in short order that you were doing searches for your own material, and thus the engines would disregard that activity.

I bet all that work would keep you busy, 'tho...

6. quiterandom profile image80
    quiterandomposted 3 years ago

I spend time searching material similar to mine to see how well they rank under various search criteria...

1. profile image0
      epsonok0posted 3 years ago in reply to this

webmaster tools can tell you the rank.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Bear in mind your searches are personalised by Google, so the rankings you see are not the same as what other people see.

working