jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Is this normal ?

1. mgt28 profile image83
    mgt28posted 2 years ago

I hope this is a fair question. Is 490 views normal after 5 weeks? Over those weeks I had written 8 hubs. Most of the traffic is from HubPages.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Based on how long you've been with the site, the few Hubs you've created, the topics you've chosen and whatever promotional efforts you've made (or not), what you are experiencing is normal for you.  No two Hub authors have the same experience.

1. mgt28 profile image83
      mgt28posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks relache,

I will not do any promotion on social networks because ultimately I want traffic to come from readers genuinely interested in what I write. I have not done SEO because I have not understood what it is, I will have to learn that. I have not found a niche yet. I come from a technical background and that does not seem to help.

3. Kain 360 profile image87
    Kain 360posted 2 years ago

Nothing is normal or abnormal usually.

You could write a hub and it ends up getting 1000s of views a day. Or you could write a hub and it barely gets 5 views a day if any.

It really depends on the topic, rankings in Google, how popular the topic is, time of year, whether it was shared on sharing sites etc...

There are a lot of factors, but in my experience, the biggest determining factors are what you write about and rankings in search engines.

Make sure that if you do write on a topic that you know is popular, that it has photos, decent organization, at least 500 words (700+ words is more preferable on HubPages these days, though), and has content that your reader will enjoy. If your reader enjoys the hub they may share it or stay in it longer. Having a longer and more attractive hub will help the reader stay on it longer. Also, factual information on the topic is important (although Google will not really know but the readers may).

1. mgt28 profile image83

Thanks Kain,

Informative and encouraging. Since I am not intending on self promoting on social network I will have to work on the quality of content as you suggest.

I also note that it maybe too early for me to worry about traffic, only 5 weeks around the block.

4. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 2 years ago

I would strongly recommend getting a new sub before you go much further. A human sounding name that people can remember really helps. So does a picture.

1. mgt28 profile image83

Appreciated, when I signed I was not so sure about credibility of the HP platform , 5 weeks down the road I have confidence on HubPages. I will work on that.

2. PegCole17 profile image90
      PegCole17posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hello Mgt28, Will is right about the human sounding name. People find it easier to relate to names they can remember. When I first saw your nice comment on one of my hubs, I checked your profile immediately to see if it seemed legitimate, and not spam.
      It takes a while (sometimes 6 months) for your articles to take off in the searches like Google, Ask, Bing and other places where people are looking for specific things. Stick around, and if you do change your Pen name, please let us know so we can follow you.

1. mgt28 profile image83

Thanks Peg,
        Always good to hear from you. Agreed. I may have to use Mgt28 for a while to gain traction and have people's confidence and then change the pen name to a better handle and announce the change to all. Flip flopping may have other unintended effects. I always think that good work speak for itself.

5. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 2 years ago

Considering that you've got only 8 hubs published this is a good achievement. If your hubs rank high on Google you may see a rise in traffic over time without publishing many more hubs.

1. mgt28 profile image83

Thanks lovebuglena,

Very kind of you. I am glad to be part of HP and hope to make positive contribution to others.