jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Does getting "Editor's Choice" raise your CPM?

1. Tealparadise profile image89
    Tealparadiseposted 2 years ago

I noticed a huge spike in my earnings, and it prompted me to take a look at my account for the first time in ages.  (embarrassed to say that I got complacent and stopped actively hubbing once I started getting about $1 per day)

Turns out I'd gotten Editor's Choice on one of my hubs.  My CPM this month (since the change) is waaaayyyy up on average from last month.  That's the only thing that's changed on my account.  My EC article was already near the top of Google for its major search term, it's just not something people often look for.  So my traffic to that hub hasn't increased by enough for me to think it's affecting the CPM like this.  It is possible, but that hub would have to have a ridiculously high CPM. 
    I wonder if my account got "brownie points" just for having an editor's choice hub?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I think the jury is still out on that, no one seems to know yet if it has any effect. About 15% of mine are EC-- some have higher traffic, some lower, a few have none-- same as my non EC hubs. Overall my traffic is up quite a bit from two months ago-- but I think that is a common trend for most of us right now.

2. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The Editor's Choice status of a Hub has no impact on CPM.  It can have an effect on traffic, often positive but sometimes negative.

Tealparadiseposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks much!  The jump was probably a combo of the other factors people have mentioned. I've been away so long I didn't know the ad program was changing.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Editor's Choice is like getting a sticker from your teacher.  It doesn't have any direct effect on anything other than your psyche.

More likely the fact that we are transitioning into the busiest online time of the year when companies tend to put the most advertising dollars out there has something to do with it.

1. electronician profile image92
      electronicianposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I saw on TV recently someone say that advertising spending goes up around 15% over Christmas, which isn't as much as I would have thought. But you are right to say that any increase in cPM could well be down to this.

2. Good Guy profile image93
      Good Guyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have 19 "stickers".  Agreed with relache.  They don't mean anything, or change anything, except my childish ego! LOL!

3. Dorsi profile image90
      Dorsiposted 2 years ago in reply to this

lol I like that analogy Relache!

3. Suzanne Day profile image97
    Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago

Although I did read somewhere that having an Editors Choice on Hubpages main domain meant the crap was filtered out and therefore you are supposed to expect a higher CPM in general....

4. Rik Ravado profile image92
    Rik Ravadoposted 2 years ago

My CPM has increased a lot recently and I gather via staff posts (Paul Edmondson) they have made a recent change to the advertising that was designed to produce a better CPM.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117968 smile

Tealparadiseposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's probably it.  My editor's choice appears to have been a false correlation.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

CPM is just up on a lot of accounts, no connection to EC.