jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Why a periodic surge in traffic on a particular Hub?

1. NateB11 profile image91
    NateB11posted 2 years ago

I have one Hub that gets relatively decent traffic. Then, in the past few days, it's gotten a sudden surge in traffic, more than it has ever received (not exactly spectacular traffic, but, at any rate, a marked increase). What accounts for a good number of people looking for the same thing, at the same time, on the Net? In this case, as far as I know, it's not something particularly prominent in the news right now. It's also not a seasonal, holiday thing. Only thing I can think of is I did see a comment, on the subject, on a very popular gossip website; also, the subject is in the news somewhat, but not in the particular way this Hub covers the subject. So, Why would a large number of people, at the same time, look for the same thing on the Net? Or is this even why I received the boost in traffic? Maybe there's another cause having to do with indexing and SERPs. Except the Hub's already been high in the SERPs for the keywords. I don't think it's generally a major sought-after subject though.

1. Will Apse profile image92
      Will Apseposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Either there was a surge of interest in the subject matter, your page climbed higher in the SERP's or it went viral in social media or... something else, like a link in a very popular forum.

Relache is right about analytics being the best place to check for data but you can also get a clue from hubpages data. Go to the page, click 'stats' and see where the traffic has been coming from in the last 24 hours.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Nate, you did right to not say which hub is getting the surge to protect it, but at the same time recognize that your question might as well have been "hey, what's this spot on my carpet?"  Blind guesses might seem fun, but they aren't very useful.  This is why I recommend people hook their Hub accounts to Analytics. 

"Because."  Which is another way of saying it's popular at the moment for whatever reason.

1. NateB11 profile image91
      NateB11posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I know what you're saying, and I hesitated to even post this question, for various reasons. I suppose curiosity made me do it.

I've had Google Analytics connected to my Hubpage and sites, and I've learned a lot about the measurements available there, but I could learn a lot more. I agree, the further one advances in this field, the more you have to do your own homework, and the easier it is to do so.

I just went back to explore my Analytics account and found out you can see what service provider visitors use. Still don't know the value of that, but it shows I have a lot more I could be exploring. I'm still trying to find out if I can see what search engines brought people to my sites. Will have to dig deeper.

1. Will Apse profile image92
        Will Apseposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Surely it is the sites that visitors came from that matters? Google, Pinterest, Reddit whatever. Get that info and you can start to work out what happened.

I had a surge of traffic to a page about a dinosaur. I easily discovered it came from Google. I wrote the dino name in the Google search box and discovered the most popular keywords around that name and clicked a few.

Turned out a new snack had launched with the dino's name. My page was high in the search results for that snack. That traffic disappeared when  Google realized my page was not answering searchers queries about the snack.

3. bn9900 profile image88
    bn9900posted 2 years ago

I saw another question relating to this and it was said on that question that if the topic is searched fore then hubpages comes up quickly on Google and such, After your hub has been posted for a while allowing time for the web crawlers to get it, search for that topic to see where your hub lies in the search results. It'll give you an idea of how high it is.