jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

How much is age of your content a factor in its position in the SERPs?

1. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 2 years ago

Other factors being good: Quality content, reputation of site, probably other factors: How much then does age of the content play into your article maintaining a good position in the SERPs? Or does it even have much of an effect at all or even not an effect at all? For instance, let's say a newer article on the subject, with the same keywords, comes along, will your content maintain its position or be pushed down in the SERPs?

1. lobobrandon profile image81
      lobobrandonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Depends on the topic. Some topics need  freshness. but the age of the domain seems to play a role in that case.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image70
        HattieMattieMaeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I would say it has to do with the age of it, is true like lobobrandon, I had to take a lot of old stuff off for that reason.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The older article, if ranked well, most likely has quality links pointing to the page. Search engines like well linked articles regardless of age if the content is still relevant.  Interestingly, one of my older hubs that ranked very well for years got out ranked by a similar hub written on the same topic.  I never looked at it because it always did well, then it fell.  I've tried to revive it, but it probably needs additional fresh content.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 2 years ago

Age plays a role, but Google's mum about the specifics.  "Relevancy" is probably what's going to determine if the newer or older content wins.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 2 years ago

Out of my top 60 hubs (by daily traffic) only two are less than 1 1/2 years old.  One is a gift making idea appropriate for Xmas that is climbing in traffic and one is a product review and again Xmas may be a large factor.

I have to get halfway down the list to find more than a dozen written last year, and that was the year of the AP for me - over 80 hubs written.

4. janderson99 profile image86
    janderson99posted 2 years ago

It's like wine - some age well, some don't!

5. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 2 years ago

Volatility makes this type of analysis more difficult, but in general, Hubs age and grow in traffic.  I was just looking at some of the top trafficked hubs and they have been growing for a few years pretty steadily.

6. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

A page can be old and fresh -- so long as you keep updating it

1. janderson99 profile image86
      janderson99posted 2 years ago in reply to this